Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Bombay

Bombay

I am looking for some advice on choosing a lens filter for use underwater with a digital camera. The old UV standard is not an option any more. Is a warming/cooing filter what I need?

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Bombay

I was chatting with a computer tech today and he said he used a red filter when he went spearfishing....so I am guessing warm is the route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I was chatting with a computer tech today and he said he used a red filter when he went spearfishing....so I am guessing warm is the route to go.

I am getting different information on this. I am shooting underwater close up with a flash on a digital camera. There are so many options, but only one for each application. Looking for some good literature on shooting digital underwater. Much "Aloha"

Real Name
    Rachel

I came across this on-line magazine when I was looking for info on taking my Canon G11 snorkeling.... it often has some useful tips and tutorials - might have something helpful for you as well....

http://www.uwpmag.com/

Real Name
    Jeroen

Due to difference in wavelength of different colours of light the filter effect of the water on the light is different.

colours like red and yellow are filtered out much earlier than blue (see diagram below).

Bombay

Adapting the white-balance to compensate for this blue and green light will fix some of the problems. The white-balance has to be set warmer to get the desired effect. Shooting a white object under water to manually set the white-balance would be best.

Like Chris suggested, a red filter does the same, but likely more effective when you have the right filter. A under water filter will be a bit orange-like, since you don't only want to compensate the loss of reds but also the loss of yellows.

I found this site about these under water filters:
    http://www.urprofilters.com/storeHome.do.
    Last edited by JK6065; 25th February 2011 at 06:02 PM.

Thank you for the link to URPRO. I think I'm on the right track now and have some good technical advice that I was looking for. Sometimes hard to find when you don't know where to look. Again "mahalo" (thank you) for the great tip. Aloha.