Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Editing and Storing

Real Name
    Chrissy

Editing and Storing

My daughter has just started using an SLR and cannot afford to upgrade her computer. Can anyone recommend a good way of editing and storing images, apart from an external hard drive? Thank you in advance for any suggestions! Chrissy

Real Name
    John

Re: Editing and Storing

1. If she has a CD or DVD drive the images can be stored on a disk.
    2. She could take the storage drive directly to a photo kiosk and have them store it on a disk.
    3. Online storage.

Real Name
    Chrissy

Thank you for your suggestions. One of the problems is that she hasn't the facility to edit her images once they're downloaded - any suggestions would be very welcome. I know this is all very basic and once she gets into it she'll be fine. She's very creative and I know will take good pics, so it would be great to point her in the right direction. Thank you!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

What SLR has she got?

Did it not come with some photo-editing software? Most of them do nowadays.

If not, then there are free editing packages that can be downloaded.

Let us know.

Real Name
    Will

The above suggestions are good and as close to the answer as you can get without more information. Information such as Donald said the camera used the ram available on the computer.

As a netbook user I find that the processor is not the bottleneck for photo editing but the amount of ram in the system.

-Sonic

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Good point, Will. Increase the RAM first before you do a major upgrade. I believe photoshop elements is now very affordable. That should give her a leverage editing her work without burning the wallet. Just a suggestion.

Real Name
    Chrissy

Why thank you all!! She has an old D60 I believe and, because it's old, she doesn't have the software. I'll get her to look into free editing software and then she can maybe use on-line storage. We have Photoshop and hard drives here, but sadly she's not close enough to make use of it.
    I'm just trying to find a way forward for her so that she doesn't lose heart!! She can't afford Elements and her computer is pretty decrepit, but one thing at a time, eh!!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Why thank you all!! She has an old D60 I believe and, because it's old, she doesn't have the software. I'll get her to look into free editing software and then she can maybe use on-line storage. We have Photoshop and hard drives here, but sadly she's not close enough to make use of it.
    I'm just trying to find a way forward for her so that she doesn't lose heart!! She can't afford Elements and her computer is pretty decrepit, but one thing at a time, eh!!
    One route she could take is to use open-source software (free, but you can make a donation if you wish). If she's shooting RAW, which hopefully she is, then UF RAW are Raw Therapee two packages. UFRaw links seamlessly with the GIMP, best described as the open-source answer to Photoshop. The GIMP is a steep learning curve. But if I can do it ..........!

Real Name
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    One route she could take is to use open-source software (free, but you can make a donation if you wish). If she's shooting RAW, which hopefully she is, then UF RAW are Raw Therapee two packages. UFRaw links seamlessly with the GIMP, best described as the open-source answer to Photoshop. The GIMP is a steep learning curve. But if I can do it ..........!
    Thank you - I have a nice lot of info to check up on! It may take a few days to get her sorted, but I'll get back to you and let you know how it all worked!!
    I've taken our home comforts for granted for too long and wonder how I'd survive without photoshop!!!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chrissy,

I think the software can be downloaded from Nikon's website - well I know it can, but then I had just registered a product (or two), so I wonder if that what allows it. Your daughter would want NikonTransfer and ViewNX (they're the free ones that normally come with the camera).

Another free option, with online storage, is Picasa, I started there and then went to Elements.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Will

The editing in Picasa is not worth the program, and I don't appreciate the time it takes to index every pic on your hard drive, even system files! I never have good results from ViewNX either though they may be options.

-Sonic

Real Name
    Chrissy

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic4Spuds View Post
    The editing in Picasa is not worth the program, and I don't appreciate the time it takes to index every pic on your hard drive, even system files! I never have good results from ViewNX either though they may be options.

-Sonic
    Thank-you Sonic
    Yes, I agree about Picasa, and she's already tried it. She can never seem to get anything printed either, but there's a whole other subject!!
    Seems like this will be a bit of a challenge but it will be well worth it in the end!
    I'll let everyone know when she's up and running - I'm doing this for her as she has an 8 week old baby and not much time!!
    Chrissy

Real Name
    Will

You may try giving her a pointer here to ask question about GIMP if she tries that, or Donald always points to a video tutorial series. I will have to find the link for that again.

-Sonic

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic4Spuds View Post
    You may try giving her a pointer here to ask question about GIMP if she tries that, or Donald always points to a video tutorial series. I will have to find the link for that again.

It's ....... http://meetthegimp.org/