Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WACOM tablets for photo editing

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: WACOM tablets

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    since I've never had the opportunity to test out what a 4 can offer, I don't know what I'm missing.
    I'm not overly familiar with the Bamboo, but the top 3 models of the Intuos 4 have things like multi-function touch rings for zooming and changing brush sizes - and lots of programmable buttons (with led matrix electronic labels). The pen has a couple of buttons - and you can even flip it around for functions like erase. Pen is also sensitive to the angle it meets the pad ("tilt" function).

Real Name
    Kay

Well thankyou chaps, but Donald what do you mean poor man!
    I can assure you my spending on camera goodies is my only vice, i dont have a wardrobe full of jimmy choos!
    And besides he only has himself to blame if he didnt bring home the work owned tablet i would have been none the wiser... Tee hee also i have to make hay while the sun shines - the budget bus will arrive at the end of the year - redundancy will hit and with it he will not have the commute every day which is wonderful news. Back to the topic in hand the student prices from online stores here for the intuos 4 are pretty good . Thanks again chaps
    Last edited by wilgk; 16th April 2011 at 06:53 AM.

Real Name
    That is my real name.

Question about using a tablet. Where do you find is the most comfortable place to put it when you are working on it?

I am wondering if it should go on the keyboard tray or on the desktop?? Ergonomically speaking that is.

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Jo
    After 20 plus years in ultrasound with my arm abducted too far from my body for long periods of time.... hence RSI issues
    I try and keep mine so my wrist is working using the pen, but the shoulder is not moving like it was with the mouse.

Use it wherever it feels most comfortable, Jo. There aren't any definite rules.

I just have one slide out work area to my computer desk and place the tablet alongside my keyboard.

Sometimes when I am doing things which don't need a tablet, like straightforward typing, I place it on edge alongside the desk and use a mouse instead.

I often find that it can be a bit of a struggle when using my elbow as a 'pivot point' which requires a lot of muscle control, although this usually improves with practice.

If you experience difficulties you may find that some form of wrist rest will help; or alternatively I sometimes use the two handed approach for difficult jobs.

Getting the tablet control options set to your liking can make everything a lot easier.

Real Name

With the Intuos 4 XL it BECOMES the desktop when I use it!

Real Name
    Ron

I bought a wacom bamboo pen and touch tablet and have never went back to using the mouse again.Mine came with a tutorial to help you get comfortable with using it.I don't know if the size of the surface makes any difference because where ever i put the pen tip down on the pad is where the cursor shows up on the monitor.I'm working on a photo now using the tablet to mask out some vines climbing up a tree and will post it here when i get it finished.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    With the Intuos 4 XL it BECOMES the desktop when I use it!
    I took your advice - got the medium
    And have watched 2 out of the many choices of tutorials on Kelby on using it - so am off and running - or drawing as the case may be!
    1 thing though is the surface and feel of the en is really different to the Intuos 3 I had borrowed.
    The 4 feels quite 'scratchy' pen like as opposed to 'pencil'.

I am experimenting with nibs - which 1 do you use most?
    and don't say the 1 with the spring - cos that just bounced under the desk and far away in the carpet - when I took it out!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I took your advice - got the medium ... so am off and running ...
    Congratulations. We expect regular reports on progress
    Don't use the one with the spring!

Real Name

I took your advice - got the medium
    Oops - sorry - I meant the large! (just kidding!)

And have watched 2 out of the many choices of tutorials on Kelby on using it - so am off and running - or drawing as the case may be!
    Well done - good girl!

1 thing though is the surface and feel of the en is really different to the Intuos 3 I had borrowed.
    The 4 feels quite 'scratchy' pen like as opposed to 'pencil'.
    I've heard others making this comment too. I've never used an Intuos 3 so I can't compare, but I've heard that nibs can wear out faster on the 4 - mine is fine (still on the first one), but I only use it once every few weeks.

and don't say the 1 with the spring - cos that just bounced under the desk and far away in the carpet - when I took it out!
    The one that was in it when I got it - I can't remember how to change it! (I actually had a look yesterday, but still can't figure it out - I'm sure it's something simple) (any hints?)

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Congratulations. We expect regular reports on progress
    Don't use the one with the spring!
    phew - that was close....thought I had to vacuum and try to find it there for a minute!

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post

I can't remember how to change it! (I actually had a look yesterday, but still can't figure it out - I'm sure it's something simple) (any hints?)
    ooo claps her hands in glee - I know the answer to something!
    (trust me living with 2 teenagers, this is a rare and to be celebrated occurrence )

The inkpot - or holder thingy unscrews to reveal a gaggle of other nibs inside.
    then in the middle of that is a wee silver thing that if you get someone with tiny fingers to help you - can be removed. If lack of small finger people is a problem - take out some of the nibs then it's easy.
    This silver thingy has a wee notch that you grip the end of the nib with and it removes it from the pen.....

At this point refer to issue above and be very careful if you have the springy nib loaded as it can go boooooiing and land anywhere.....or where it is hardest to find

I'll have a go at getting 1 of my clover leaf kids shots to show you - might not work as there are lots of 1 Photosho PSD now.

This is a crop from an A4 page of a lot of them - there were 58 clovers (Horton the Elephant hears a group of people on a speck of dust on a clover in the story) - each portrait I have to do an oval selection, a feather and then remove the background - the background was a light cream so using the magic wand got most but then a fine go around on that layer with the eraser was required, particularly for the blonde hair kids!

The actual portraits were done way back in late Jan or early Feb - so I see lots of room for improvement in the lighting now....oops
    but anyway if I didn't have the tablet this would have taken much longer been not as neat and sent my shoulder to the scrap heap.

I also now ned to learn 'In Design' from kelby training before the next show in 2 years time

WACOM tablets for photo editing
    Last edited by wilgk; 3rd May 2011 at 09:27 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

ooo claps her hands in glee - I know the answer to something!
    (trust me living with 2 teenagers, this is a rare and to be celebrated occurrence )

then in the middle of that is a wee silver thing that if you get someone with tiny fingers to help you - can be removed. If lack of small finger people is a problem - take out some of the nibs then it's easy.
    This silver thingy has a wee notch that you grip the end of the nib with and it removes it from the pen.....

At this point refer to issue above and be very careful if you have the springy nib loaded as it can go boooooiing and land anywhere.....or where it is hardest to find

I'll have a go at getting 1 of my clover leaf kids shots to show you - might not work as there are lots of 1 Photosho PSD now.
    I love these technical discussions! Get me all excited.

Real Name

I actually knew that - but best of all, congratulations on your promotion to CiC chief Wacom technical consultant!

(Thanks Kay!)

WACOM tablets for photo editing
    Too cute! Wow, you've been busy! How many of these did you do - one thousand or something like that? The excitement for the show must be building....

Real Name
    Jim

Re: WACOM tablets for photo editing

I have a wacom 4 med and I love it. i wouldn't trade it for anything. It can for sure make your post process a lot easier plus I use it to surf the web. I really love it. Best thing you could buy for post production

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234