Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Now for this Micro Four Thirds....

Real Name
    Tom McKay

Now for this Micro Four Thirds....

I now have the Panasonic GF2 to hand. First impression very favorable. The ergonomics & touch screen better than expected. I love my Nikon D90 DSLR & use an old manual 50mm 1.8 that I find one of Nikons best lenses so that was the direct comparison with the GF2 14-42 lens. Is it good!! You bet it is. Next the D90 with a 50mm prime. Just as good. I'm not an expert like most I have my own little test stuff & it wouldn't do for expert analysis but this will be the pocket camera from now on. OK I have big pockets but maybe the pancake lens will come along. My Son bought his with the 14mm lens so maybe next trials................
    The movie part will be a learning curve methinks with directory's & file names somewhat strange. It has an option for AVCHD which you don't just load & see. The software supplied is mostly only PC & being a MAC mainly user the movies are a bit of a challenge. Of course an HDMI output is there so micro to standard cable needed (Not supplied) & I'm sure the TV will come in to its own. It can do MJPEG BTW.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Now for this Micro Four Thirds....

The GF2 doesn't seem to have an eye-level viewfinder. Am I correct. Is shooting it difficult in bright sunlight?

Real Name
    Robin

Haven't had the chance to play with a GF2 yet but the GF1 was a little beauty.

I think because I sell cameras and use dozens of them every day I have become used to switching between eye level viewfinders, back screens, optical and EVF to the point where I don't mind any more what the camera has (so long as its good) and just shoot with it. There isn't a perfect viewfinder, traditional pentaprisms are lovely and clear and fantastic to manual focus - but they don't show the exposure in the same way as a EVF can - but an EVF currently doesn't refresh fast enough - neither can be used at low/high angles - back screens can be a little difficult to see in bright conditions - but they are fantastic for macro where you can zoom into the live-view to check focus......I could go on. None of them are difficult to use they just need getting used to.

By the way Tom you can get an adapter to put your Nikon 50mm on the Panasonic - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-Micro-4-...item20ace9e47a

rob marshall

I have a Panasonic G1. It's brilliant. I'm in love with it.

It's not just the image quality, it's the feel of it. It looks and feels like a camera should - small, solid, easy to handle. It's heavier than you expect it to be for a small camera, even when you get used to it. But it's that solid reassuring feel that makes it so great. People stop me in the street and say "Is that a G1?"

The fold out screen is terrific for macro, and the rule-of-thirds grid that you can display on the screen or the viewfinder makes framing and composing a shot much easier. The quality of the electronic view finder s exceptional, compared to bridge cameras. And no mirror, so no 'mirror shake'.

As for image quality, the shot below was taken with it. I printed it to A3 and it now hangs in my hall, where it looks superb.

For the record - I also have a Panasonic bread maker, and that too is brilliant.

Real Name
    Richard

I'd love to see an image of this camera next to a full size Canon DSLR. I wonder how much smaller this camera is than say the old Canon 350D (Rebel XT)?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    I'd love to see an image of this camera next to a full size Canon DSLR. I wonder how much smaller this camera is than say the old Canon 350D (Rebel XT)?
    I just happen to have an old 350D - how convenient is that.

The 350D is W126xH94xD64mm = 758 cubic cm
    The G1 is W124xH83xD45mm = 463 cubic cm

I know the cubic size isn't quite right due to the shape, but it gives a good comparison. I left the kit lenses on the shots because apart from the differences in camera body size, there is also a big size differential in the lenses.

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks Rob... There really is quite a size differential and considering that the 350D was one of the smaller DSLR cameras (at least in the Canon line) the difference is considerable. Additionally, I would guess that putting a 14mm f/2.5 prime or a 20mm f/1.7 lens on the G1 would really make a compact package.

I like that this camera has an eye level viewfinder. I absolutely hate using the LCD to frame my shots - especially in bright sun. However, it could be a great camera for inconspicuous shooting (not in red though) by facing in an opposite direction to which you are shooting and viewing with the articulating LCD.

I wish that they also had a small 45 or 50mm prime with an f/1.8 or so aperture (90mm or 100mm equivalent). The 20mm f/1.7 and a 50mm f/1.8 combination would be a pretty nice small size package that could be used in some relatively low light levels..

The more I look at this camera, the more I think I will get one for my wife; then I could borrow it!

rob marshall

Thanks Rob... There really is quite a size differential and considering that the 350D was one of the smaller DSLR cameras (at least in the Canon line) the difference is considerable. Additionally, I would guess that putting a 14mm f/2.5 prime or a 20mm f/1.7 lens on the G1 would really make a compact package.
    The kit lens (14-45mm) is pretty small, but yes, the 20mm is much smaller still. I think Wendy has one.

I like that this camera has an eye level viewfinder. I absolutely hate using the LCD to frame my shots - especially in bright sun.
    When I bought mine, some 9 months ago, the G1 was being phased out, and the G2 coming in. I got the G1 for that very reason. With the G1, if you want to shoot using the screen you can. Sometimes it's extremely useful, such as low-level flower shots. And with the rule of thirds grid switched on (screen or viewfinder) composition is very easy.

The more I look at this camera, the more I think I will get one for my wife; then I could borrow it!
    There goes a man who thinks as I do! Why not get her the Panasonic breadmaker too? http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SD-R...1&sr=8-2-spell

Real Name
    Kathy

... I wish that they also had a small 45 or 50mm prime with an f/1.8 or so aperture ...
    This is why a lot of u4/3 users end up adapting the Leica M-mount Cosina Voigtländer Nokton 40mm f/1.4.