Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter Blahs

Real Name
    Homer

Winter Blahs

There hasn't been any fresh snow in a week and even the lighting has been poor so I haven't been out with the camera for a week. Last week I took a bunch of shots over on the coast in less than ideal conditions and came home nearly empty handed.

With time on my hands this weekend I worked on one of the shots that I thought had compositional potential. Well, it's an improvement. Comments?

As Shot
    Winter Blahs

Worked On
    Winter Blahs
    Last edited by Boatman; 21st February 2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: The image was .5 degrees off. I rotated it 1.0 degree to the left.

Real Name
    Merle Plagge

Re: Winter Blahs

Nice image -- I like the color that you have enhanced. Has a lot of interesting things to look at. However, one thing that you didn't do is straighten all those leaning power poles and the water tower.

Real Name
    Homer

This is strange. I agree in the 'worked on' image the tower looks like it is leaning to the right. But I don't see it in the 'as shot' image. I didn't straighten the image as I thought it was correct, based on the horizon. I double checked this and in fact, the tower is straight or at least within a half degree. I think it's an optical illusion due to the fact that the poles are clearly leaning. But if I straightend them the horizon will be off.

Real Name
    Merle Plagge

Hi Homer,
    I think your horizon is off a little too. The actual horizon is obscured by those bushes that cover the left third of the horizon line. Try rotating the image 0.9 or 1 degree to the left and see what you think. With this rotation the tower looks straight and the poles are straight.