Guess

More Storm waves

More Storm waves

Please any comments would be welcomed

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: More Storm waves

Joe

I think this is the same image as you have in the 'Storm Waves' thread.

It is spectacular. I take it you were restricted in terms of view and couldn't have got somewhere where that fence wouldn't have been in your line of sight. I wonder about cropping it a bit on the right hand side so that we have the fence running out of frame the same way as it does on the left hand side.

And, it always seems unfair to mention it, but how about losing the watermark/signature? It really does detract from the image.
    Last edited by Donald; 20th February 2011 at 09:35 PM.

Real Name
    Guess

Hi Donald, Thanks for the comments, yes I made a mistake in sending the wrong photo the second time ( I'm very new to showing photos)
    and also new to photograph,but I hope to learn with the help of all the good people on this site. The reason for the watermark was because I saw it in a book and I wanted to find out if it was possible for me, as a none computer person to do. It is not possible to get any other view than the one I used for this shot as It,s all fenced off because of security. Thanks for all your comments and I will try and crop it as you suggest regards Joe

Real Name
    Richard

The first thing I thought when I saw this image was WOW!

It reminded me of shooting a gigantic wave from a small ship during a Pacific typhoon. Through the viewfinder, the wave kept getting higher and higher. I lowered the camera, looked straight up at a wall of water and thought "WOW!"

Actually, what I thought was "OH S_ _T... I've had it!" I spun around and grabbed on to a railing for dear life...

Luckily, I was still aboard after the big wave hit me. I was a soaking wet and a bit beaten up, but still alive. I was shooting with a Bell and Howell, Model 70, Filmo, 16mm motion picture camera. I gained appreciation for the ruggedness of the Filmo from that time on. I also used a lifeline for future coverage like that.

Were you in any danger from the storm surge? I don't put myself in danger to get a shot anymore. I have grown old and smart...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st February 2011 at 05:25 AM.

Real Name
    Guess

Hi Richard, Thanks for the comments. you ask if I was in any danger from the wave. I try to be as careful as I can around storms, one of my other hobbies is Scuba diving ( I'm an Instructor and have been diving for over 30 years ) so I have a great deal of respect for the sea in all its moods. So I always take as many precautions as I can whenever I'm near storms of this magnitude. So the answer to your question is I was as safe as I could make myself. fortunately I'm a bit like you I also have grown old, but not as smart as I should be. I have other Pictures of Storms that I might post, to see what people think. Regards Joe