Thread: C&C on first attempt at PP

Real Name
    Lisa

C&C on first attempt at PP

Original

Improvement or not?

Tried GIMP and failed miserably (spent 2 days going around in circles, trying to follow tips from a photography magazine that were for Photoshop), bit the bullet and purchased Aperture as a step up from iphoto hopefully in the medium term.

Basic adjustments applied the whole of the photo as a starting point, I confess that I didn't think the original could be improved other than a bit of a crop - however after specific comments about sharpening on other posts, this was an area I was keen to experiment with, but, have I overdone it?

Lisa

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: C&C on first attempt at PP

If your question is with regards to sharpening, I think you did just fine. I might even say that you can still add some more without harming the image. Nice upgrade regarding aperture. I heard a lot of praises regarding that software when it comes to intuitiveness to the use of the functions compared to photoshop. Maybe, in a matter of a month or two you'll be very much at ease using it for post-processing. As for the image, I'm thinking of darkening the background so I can emphasize the icicles more. Nice work, Lisa.

Real Name
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    If your question is with regards to sharpening, I think you did just fine. I might even say that you can still add some more without harming the image. Nice upgrade regarding aperture. I heard a lot of praises regarding that software when it comes to intuitiveness to the use of the functions compared to photoshop. Maybe, in a matter of a month or two you'll be very much at ease using it for post-processing. As for the image, I'm thinking of darkening the background so I can emphasize the icicles more. Nice work, Lisa.
    Thanks Will

Darken the background, i'll give it a try. Aperture certainly isn't as complex as photoshop, or Gimp for that matter, but seems to offer a decent level of tools for a beginner like me. Thanks for the input.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by solitarylady View Post
    Thanks Will

Darken the background, i'll give it a try. Aperture certainly isn't as complex as photoshop, or Gimp for that matter, but seems to offer a decent level of tools for a beginner like me. Thanks for the input.
    Hi Lisa,

I like your picture very much. Did you already experiment on it with the Curves tool? A little curve goes a long way. I am an Aperture user as well, so I look forward to learning from your experience and sharing notes with you.

Real Name
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Hi Lisa,

I like your picture very much. Did you already experiment on it with the Curves tool? A little curve goes a long way. I am an Aperture user as well, so I look forward to learning from your experience and sharing notes with you.
    Hi Janis

Not really got as far as that, had a bit of a play with levels (only purchased aperture on Friday), but have managed to match up some of the tools to the tutorials on here - I am a complete beginner with PP, but looking forward to improving my skills, not sure you'll be learning much from me yet, but I would certainly appreciate assistance from someone in the know.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Real Name
    Janis

I'm an old turtle with too many hobbies, Lisa, so I'm sure you'll be blasting by me in no time. Meanwhile, here is a pretty good (free) video introduction to the Curves tool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jeg9e...55F4A0CD7B120A. And there are others out there. Have fun!

Real Name
    Chris

Not being familiar with Aperture as a PP program, I cannot say for certain, but the easiest way to make a correction like this is using a blending mode (one duplicate layer atop the original and change blend to darken, give it a layer mask filled with black, then on the duplicate copy, simply brush away all the areas you want to be highlighted. In this case, I only returned the icicles to their original state.) as I did with your image. This was accomplished in less than ten minutes and for the most part, the computer did all the work.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Not being familiar with Aperture as a PP program, I cannot say for certain, but the easiest way to make a correction like this is using a blending mode (one duplicate layer atop the original and change blend to darken, give it a layer mask filled with black, then on the duplicate copy, simply brush away all the areas you want to be highlighted.
    No layers in Aperture, but there are brushes that do the same thing. One way to darken the background would be to burn it using the Burn Quick Brush, with Detect Edges and Color Overlay selected. Alternatively, one could darken the entire image by selecting that option in the Burn Quick Brush tool, and then use the Eraser on the icicles. I think there are probably other options as well, but that is the limit to my knowledge.

In case there is any misunderstanding, my question regarding the Curves tool was motivated by the fact that it seems to me, looking at the second image, that the tonal range in the icicles might be stretched a touch more. Even that adjustment could be brushed in, or away, as one needed or wanted.

If you do experiment with Curves on this photo, Lisa, start with your master, not the version you have already adjusted, and compare the two versions when you are done (apply your Edge Sharpen after everything else). You will see that many of the tools do the same or similar things, they just differ in the amount of control they give you.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by purplehaze; 20th February 2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: correct typos

Real Name
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    No layers in Aperture, but there are brushes that do the same thing. One way to darken the background would be to burn it using the Burn Quick Brush, with Detect Edges and Color Overlay selected. Alternatively, one could darken the entire image by selecting that option in the Burn Quick Brush tool, and then use the Eraser on the icicles. I think there are probably other options as well, but that is the limit to my knowledge.

In case there is any misunderstanding, my question regarding the Curves tool was motivated by the fact that it seems to me, looking at the second image, that the tonal range in the icicles might be stretched a touch more. Even that adjustment could be brushed in, or away, as one needed or wanted.

If you do experiment with Curves on this photo, Lisa, start with your master, not the version you have already adjusted, and compare the two versions when you are done (apply your Edge Sharpen after everything else). You will see that many of the tools do the same or similar things, they just differ in the amount of control they give you.

Hope that helps.
    Hi Janis

Thanks again for the advice, I'm slowly starting to get the hang of Aperture, the link for the curves tutorial was very helpful, there were others on 'youtube' that offered further assistance.

Here's an original taken yesterday, before PP, over exposed sky, under exposed foreground but I liked the composition.

'Apertured the Ass off' version - played with a lot of tools here, but for the first time felt like I was in control. One slight issue I wondered if you had any fixes for was the line of the hill in the background looks a bit 'moire' (not even sure this is the correct term) not as obvious on this version, but on my full screen it's quiet obvious.

Real Name
    Chris

Given the position of the sun (appears to be behind the hill in question), I would darken that side more. Look at the rock in the very foreground for direction and tone.

Real Name
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Given the position of the sun (appears to be behind the hill in question), I would darken that side more. Look at the rock in the very foreground for direction and tone.
    Hi Chris

Can you elaborate a bit, how do I use the rock for direction and tone - sorry, it must be annoying sometimes explaining what probably seems very basic to you - but I greatly appreciate your expertise. Are you referring to adjusting the hill tones to the same as the rock, how will this reduce the moire effect I am seeing, does that even make sense?

Real Name
    Chris

Your final image should be a cross between what you started with and where you ended...maybe this will help.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by solitarylady View Post
    Original

Improvement or not?

Tried GIMP and failed miserably (spent 2 days going around in circles, trying to follow tips from a photography magazine that were for Photoshop), bit the bullet and purchased Aperture as a step up from iphoto hopefully in the medium term.

Basic adjustments applied the whole of the photo as a starting point, I confess that I didn't think the original could be improved other than a bit of a crop - however after specific comments about sharpening on other posts, this was an area I was keen to experiment with, but, have I overdone it?

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

The one thing I saw instantly looking at this, and even Chris's version, is it needs rotating clockwise.

These things are formed by gravity freezing falling water and water should fall vertically (in the absence of a prevailing wind).

I think the second version is an improvement - but I just can't get past the tilted icicles

Cheers,

Real Name
    Janis

Hi Lisa,

I think I just heard a whoosh.

I personally can't see any moiré in your photo. Is this what you mean by moiré? Is the thing that you object to in both your master and your adjusted version? If it is not in the master, then I don't think it would be moiré. See this for more about what causes moiré. If it is in your master, and it fits the definition of moiré, you should be able to correct it using the Moire and Radius sliders in the Raw Fine Tuning tools. I'm afraid all I know about using these sliders are what is in the manual. I would advise applying all your Raw Fine Tuning adjustments before any other adjustments. This is where the Lift and Stamp tool comes in handy, in that you can lift and stamp the adjustments you are happy with in your adjusted version to a new, fine-tuned version of your RAW file.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    tilted icicles
    Good call, Dave. I think it is not a good sign that I only see that now, after draining the dregs of last night's Gerwurtztraminer.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Hey, someone else who likes Gerwutz. Brilliant. Sorry folks, this has degenerated into a discussion on wine and grape varieties.

Real Name
    Janis

Lisa,

On second look, I think what you are seeing is an oversharpening halo. See here. Dial your sharpening back a bit and see if it disappears.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Hey, someone else who likes Gerwutz. Brilliant. Sorry folks, this has degenerated into a discussion on wine and grape varieties.
    Donald, it was a quasi-religious experience discovering how well it marries with curry dishes. Do tell which are your favorites. We sampled two different German ones last night and had a definite preference.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Lisa,

The one thing I saw instantly looking at this, and even Chris's version, is it needs rotating clockwise.

These things are formed by gravity freezing falling water and water should fall vertically (in the absence of a prevailing wind).

I think the second version is an improvement - but I just can't get past the tilted icicles

Cheers,
    Not living in the frigid north and rarely seeing an icicle that long, it wouldn't be something I would notice...but I will remember to look from now on...