Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon G10 - thoughts and suggestions

Canon G10 - thoughts and suggestions

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions to share about the Canon G10, I would like to share them.

I have had mine since just before Christmas and have really liked it. I had to send it to Canon because of a small glare spot on the pictures. Problem seems to be gone and service was quick and under warranty.

My first suggestion is don't use AWB. Pictures are just better with right white balance.

That dial on the left top that lets you make adjustments for dark areas against a backlighted or frontlighted pictures against a dark background really seems to work. Try it out. I have been very pleased. Any experiences to share about that would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a Canon XSi. I've been using Canons for a long time so I have a bit of a collection including an F1. Wish I could put a digital back on that one so I could use all of my FD lenses. Oh, well. Time for something new.

BillTexas.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 30th January 2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: "hare" -> "share"

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Canon G10

Quote Originally Posted by BillTexas View Post

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions to share about the Canon G10, I would like to share them.
    Hi Bill,

I'm a Canon 1Ds3 shooter myself, but I have had a quick play with the G10. Apparantly they're very popular with wedding photographers at the moment as a backup/reception camera (ideal for unobtrusive "snaps"). (Perhaps "popular" is the wrong word - frankly, they RAVE about them!).

In terms of white balance, personally, I always adjust it in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW converter) - if you can include a neutral gray card as a reference somewhere in the sequence then it only take a handful of clicks to adjust all images in the sequence.

Hi,

I have had my G-10 for only two months but I believe I made the right choice. Most of my work is in-doors; people in an office environment.

The 'my colors' feature has a skin tone compensator which lightens the skin tone for dark skin subjects. In the past, I have had problems in this area but no more.

The movie mode, using the small setting, returns a nice video clip with good audio and a small size for easy upload.

The Panoramic mode with Stitch Assist sucks. I do much better using a very old program, Roxio Photosuite, to align and join the individual shots.

Overall, she seems to be a great tool that I can carry in my pocket without hanging a bag over my shoulder.

Andy

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your post. I saw that this was your first, so just wanted to say "welcome" - great to have you with us.

If you get a chance, pop a reply onto the welcome thread and tell us a bit about yourself :)