Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Luci

Luci

My first post! This is a candid picture of my friend while she was painting. comments and critiques are welcome. thank you.

f/4.5, 1/30 sec, ISO 400

Luci
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eamonn Carroll; 17th February 2011 at 03:17 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Re: Luci

I think it's a pretty good candid. Personally I like the tight framing/crop on photos like this.
    If you are interested in portraiture, you should check out the tutorial stickied in this forum. There's some really good info in there.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Eamonn and welcome to CiC,

I do like this, the tight crop, the light and the slight softness of focus. Putting the face higher in the frame with the (high contrast) eye on the rule of thirds you have created room for her to look into. The slight tilt of the head creates a soft diagonal line which does not divide the image in two but I don't do portraits.

Still I do like this.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I like it. You've captured a good moment. The colors in the background, her skin and top all play together nicely... and, I like the name Luci.

rob marshall

Sorry, but I don't think it works at all. She looks to be a pretty girl, but the angle of her head (or perhaps the angle of the camera) makes her features looks quite disproportionate. Her nose looks much larger than I'm sure it is, and that ear, high up in the corner has a very strange effect on the whole shot. What is the discoloured fuzzy area of hair above her ear? Is it something that happened in post-processing? I think the lack of any eye contact leads one to consider more closely the structural arrangement of the shot, which only makes matters worse. Given the lack of eye contact it might have been better to shoot it from the side, in profile, and thus avoid the angle problems.