Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Anybody used Sandisk Rescue Pro 3.0

Anybody used Sandisk Rescue Pro 3.0

While waiting for my computer to 'warm up' and start downloading some photos I reset my camera to my usual default settings.

When the computer was ready; for some strange reason (probably age related) I thought that I had successfully downloaded my photos and deleted them from the camera.

A few moments later, as reason returned, I thought 'Oh dear' (or words to that effect).

These were just a few casual snaps and not important but I remembered that I had received a free copy of the San Disk Recovery software when I bought something else. So I thought this would be a suitable occasion to load the programme and give it a test; ready for a similar occurrence when the photos might be more important.

But I just can't make any sense of how to use this software.

I can find the camera on the files list but can't find any potentially recoverable data there. Are Raw files not covered by this system? Or am I doing something completely wrong - once again.

Somehow, and I can't explain how, I keep getting a list of recently deleted files from my hard disk but nothing from the camera.

So is it just me or is this free programme not suitable for this sort of recovery?

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Anybody used Sandisk Rescue Pro 3.0

I've never tried to point it at a camera only a card reader and it has worked every time - including with RAW files.

I use it at work on a weekly basis to recover customers cards that have been deleted or corrupt and it has an excellent hit rate. Only card you will have bother with is the older XD ones as these don't have the the control chip onboard, instead relying on the device to place data, so when they go wrong they go wrong terminally.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Totally agree with Robin. Get the card out of the camera. I've only ever used this program twice, and it saved my skin on both occasions. I've always used a card reader, so the computer sees the card straight away.

That is something to think about, Robin, thanks.

I don't currently have a card reader because just plugging into the computer usually works fine. I did get a free reader with another purchase but when I checked I found that it only works with SD cards, not CF.

But I suppose that, in theory, if I can find the camera location OK it should be possible to 'communicate' with it in the opposite direction. I will have another think!

Maybe if I go through the EOS Download Utility?

Real Name
    Will

This probably won't work as the camera's processor usually interprets the data on the card building a fake filesystem for the camera. This means that the software can't directly access the bits on the card giving major problems to recovery software which has to read the raw bits without the filesystem even knowing that something is there.

-Sonic

Yes Will, I have tried from several angles but although I can 'see the path' I can't reach the end.

So I have just ordered a CF card reader. Locally I can't even purchase a CF card never mind a reader. These readers seem to vary between £2 and £30 so I have ordered a Sony product for £10 which had some good reviews.

I assume the recovery software regards the reader as another drive so the pathway will be a lot simpler.

When it arrives I will have a go at recovery and see what happens.

Real Name
    Steve

I got a card reader when I got a new printer without a card reading port: I found that those being sold for £2.99 were the same model and type as those being sold for £14.99.

So I got a £2.99 one and it worked fine; didn't need it though since I wired in both printers in the end, the old one is cheaper for document printing.

Managed a successful result with a card reader - eventually. My 4 GB CF card took nearly 3 hours to recover though. So thanks for the advice.

There wasn't much of any interest on that card, but now I am prepared and next time it may be more serious.

These were the best of the recoveries.

Builders

Water Trough
    Last edited by Geoff F; 19th February 2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: photos added