Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How do I create/apply a texture in PS CS5?

Real Name
    Al

How do I create/apply a texture in PS CS5?

What I really trying to do is use one of my files (tree bark, for example) as a texture to apply to another image, just as the Patch tool copies texture from one part of an image to another. I know there's a Texture filter, but it's always "greyed out" so it's not a valid operation. What's the trick, and why is the Texture filter always grey? PS Help and the NAPP website have been of no use at all. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Re: How do I create/apply a texture in PS CS5?

Al

Most of use use THIS method I think...or at least something very close. I have no idea about the texture filter I am afraid. I yse GIMP

Real Name
    Elise

Hey Steve, thanks for linking to me . . . Al, open your separate texture file, use the move tool to move it over the picture (it will make a new layer), then use the blending modes and opacity slider to combine them. I'm happy to help if I can.

Real Name
    Al

Thanks, Steve and Elise. I was trying to make this way too complicated, I guess. I need to do a lot more experimenting and tweaking, but I am getting something resembling what I'm after now. I'll figure out the Texture filter thing some other day. Thanks again!

Real Name
    Chris

You can download a free plug in called Pixel Bender which does some pretty spectacular stuff when using different blending modes. go to www.lab.adobe.com The trick is to make sure each layer is converted to a smart object.

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    You can download a free plug in called Pixel Bender which does some pretty spectacular stuff when using different blending modes. go to www.lab.adobe.com The trick is to make sure each layer is converted to a smart object.
    Thanks, Chris. I downloaded and installed Pixel Bender on Windows 7, but when I try to use the Pixel Bender filter, I get this error message: "Plugin cannot successfully process this image due to its high memory requirements."

That really doesn't seem likely, since my system has 24 GB, and the loaded image is a simple photo of some balloons against a clear sky, and no additional layers. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Real Name
    Chris

Go to the adobe applications manager and right click it to complete the install, and then you have to restart your computer for it to take effect. I had to fiddle with it a couple of times before it worked right for me...and I have the same memory as you, 24GB.

Real Name
    Al

Thanks, Chris. For reasons unknown, Pixel Bender has decided to start working after a couple of days.