Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Fishing Derby - Fish Scales How do you do them?

Real Name
    Tim

Fishing Derby - Fish Scales How do you do them?

I think that I may have overemphasized that pattern in the scales to the point where it looks overly geometric. I feel like they overpower the color pattern, which is what you see in person... I am pretty lost on this one.

Bonus squirrel

If anybody is interested, I can post the RAW.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Fishing Derby - Fish Scales How do you do them?

I'd like to see the raw file of the fish.

Real Name
    Tim

_MG_0029.CR2 - 10.1 MB

I went with B&W to de-emphasize the mud and the blood. I kind of like the cigarette butt, however.

Real Name
    Chris

This was done using CS5: Opened in ACR and adjusted accordingly...mostly just set the white balance and evened out the overall tonal value. In Photoshop, I did two adj layers of Multiply 27% and 23% and one screen at 25%, one layer of luminosity at 10% and adjusted the color, sharpened and did a little dodging and selective burning.
    After saving as a color file, I took it into Silver Efex Pro and did two runs through on Fuji film, one underexposed, one over and decreased the brightness a tad.

I kept the original size pretty much intact as I felt it made a better composition...but, that's my opinion.

Real Name
    Richard

Not much in the way of scales but, some nice Alaskan fish anyway from the Port of Seward at the tip of the Kenai Peninsula....

Real Name
    Tim

Wow, thanks. I guess I need to do some reading. I am impressed though. I am thinking it is the Silver Efex that put it over the top for me. I will need to look into that.

re the composition: I agree with you but. What had me hung up was the bloody clot of ice on the smallest pike. I should have knocked it off before taking the picture, and the lake trout. It had just been put out again the day I shot the picture, but the second day of the derby, and I should have flipped it over, since laying on the snow had ruined its coloring on the exposed side.

But now that I see what is possible, I will be more careful next time
    Last edited by tameigh; 14th February 2011 at 01:03 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Next time you run into a scene that has disturbing elements but is a great shot, clone out the offending parts. If you go back to some of the mini competitions, you'll find one I did which shows a downhill pathway to the beach...in the original shot, there were three people standing at the bottom of the steps. I cloned them out and it would take a really good person to see any leftover mixed pixels. It just takes practice and patience. Have fun...I do. Oh, and you might want to subscribe to www.kelbytraining.com I've learned more from that site, than from any books on the subject.