Mel Timtiman

Just another moon shot

Just another moon shot

Re: Just another moon shot

Respect, Mel!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Nice one, Mel. Moon shots are hard to master but I think you got it all right.

Real Name
    António Correia

Good image Mel.
    Tell us more about it will you ?

1/250s f/8 or f/5.6 ISO 200 or ISO 400 ?

Lens ? 400mm I guess
    Last edited by Antonio Correia; 13th February 2011 at 10:08 AM.

Real Name
    Mel Timtiman

Oh you said it, Willie, the moon is one of the trickiest subjects I ever encountered. I think I made more than 75 shots of the moon at that time and after experimenting on differents settings, this was the only one that looked good after processing. One thing I found out though, the best aperture setting for moon shots is f/7.1 and ISO 200.

Hi Antonio, I was reading carregwen's inspiring inteview on you yesterday and I had this thought at the back of my mind, "With his knowledge in photography, does he still look at photos posted by newbies like me, and if I post this photo, he might be thinking, 'Ah, been there, done that. What a crappy shot'". But now, here I am answering your question. So here it goes:
    Camera - Canon 50D
    Lens - Canon 70-200 L f/4 IS USM
    Aperture - F/7.1
    ISO - 200
    Focal length - 200mm
    Shutter Speed - 1/400

Camera was mounted on a tripod, no filter on the lens, and used a remote trigger. Focus point was at 6 o'clock, half of it was on the moon and the other half was on the black background. Its something like this:

Just another moon shot

You may have a different shutter speed but as I wrote earlier, keep it constant at F/7.1 and ISO 200. A close friend told before not to share this secret to anyone especially where to place the focus point. Just between Katy, Willie, you, and I, let's keep it a secret...

Whispering to myself, "A master photographer asking a newbie for camera settings? WOW!!! Got to treat my wife, kids, and iguana to dinner!!!!"

Real Name
    George Montgomery

Nice, crisp moon shot.
    Mine always look just a bit soft.

Real Name
    Yegor

Good shot. Frequently questions on adjustments stand nothing. I shot with absolutely identical parameters (Little bit distinct from these) and received different pictures. My moon same (after РР) but with other parameters. I did not use tripod. It is necessary to try and choose the best version simply. But it is very a pity, that the moon does not rotate, as a planet. Always only its one side! Would be great to make a photo of a dark side!

Tonight

Real Name
    Robin

Actually the moon does rotate, it just happens to rotate once in the same time it takes to circle the earth meaning we only see one side. If it didn't rotate you would de able to see 'your dark side' simply by going to the other side of the earth to where you live.

Real Name
    António Correia

Quote Originally Posted by meltimtiman View Post
    ... Hi Antonio, I was reading carregwen's inspiring inteview on you yesterday and I had this thought at the back of my mind, "With his knowledge in photography, does he still look at photos posted by newbies like me, and if I post this photo, he might be thinking, 'Ah, been there, done that. What a crappy shot'". But now, here I am answering your question. So here it goes:
    Camera - Canon 50D Lens - Canon 70-200 L f/4 IS USM Aperture - F/7.1 ISO - 200 Focal length - 200mm Shutter Speed - 1/400 Camera was mounted on a tripod, no filter on the lens, and used a remote trigger. Focus point was at 6 o'clock, half of it was on the moon and the other half was on the black background. Its something like this: ... Whispering to myself, "A master photographer asking a newbie for camera settings? WOW!!! Got to treat my wife, kids, and iguana to dinner!!!!"
    The Portuguese for honey is mel.
    Me a master ? No way Mel. No way. Let's say it another way: "It is so easy that even Antonio knows it !" Just Google you will see how many answers you get.
    But I was near about those settings of yours... You were not at 400mm but very close at 200*1.6= 320 mm on your 50D. I have also done Moon shots in the past.
    You did a very good work on this shot Mel.
    Just another moon shot
    1 / 7 / 2007 - 22h 48m
    Canon 20 D + 1.4 II + 70-200 IS L USM f/2.8 = 100 ISO - 1/200s - f/5.6
    Then, on July 2007 I was not so good in CS5 as I am today...
    Yours is better

Real Name
    Yegor

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Actually the moon does rotate, it just happens to rotate once in the same time it takes to circle the earth meaning we only see one side. If it didn't rotate you would de able to see 'your dark side' simply by going to the other side of the earth to where you live.
    Naturally!))) had in view of in relation to us))))