Thread: Action outdoor fashion feature

Real Name
    Samuel Van Eldik

Action outdoor fashion feature

I need to arrange Lens and filters for an action outdoor fashion feature of a male model in the city CBD wearing various business suits. They require lots of movement in the images and are happy with some motion.

I was thinking of a 135mm lens and a polarising filter.

MY camera is a Canon 7D.

Opitions are
    Two small format DSLR camers with full sized 35MM sensors.
    The lens option are 20mm,35mm,50mm, 100mm, 135mm, & 300mm
    Two quick cycle portable flash units
    Transportable studio gear
    Tripod and monopod
    ND filter
    Polarizing filter
    Last edited by underwater; 8th February 2011 at 02:54 AM.

Real Name
    neil

Re: Action outdoor fashion feature

The 135 is a great lens for a number of reasons but the big question is why you mention just one lens? That would be restrictive and as it is a medium length prime you can double that. If you are shooting on a crop body that is essentially 200mm in a city location... I assume you have room to move? What camera are you using?

If I had to take one lens it would be 70/200 2.8 but certainly add a 135 to that + 24/105 etc.

I would be more concerned with lighting than filters especially if you want some movement... I guess they mean frozen movement not blurred men in blurred suits

I think you need to give more information to get better advice from others

Real Name
    richard noel amora

Id consider bring a 70 200 and a 24-70 on FF cam.

i'd agree with tihsgod to consider more the lights than the filters.
    perhaps more info on the concept that you will be shooting will be more helpful, still a 70 200 for a model shoot is still a staple lens for that.

best Regards!

Richard

Real Name
    Richard

Shooting a professional venue with a single camera (especially with a prime) lens is (IMO) simply not the way to go. Time is of the utmost and a pair (or more) of cameras and compatible lenses might be the way to go.

However although, I know the value and quality of prime lenses, however it seems to me that a top-line zoom (I don't know Nikon lenses but, am certain that they have some excellent zoom ranges) might be the best way to go.

Lots is said of the superiority of primes compared to zooms. However, with zooms, the photographer has the capability of "cropping in the camera". This is only possible with a prime if you are in the exact place required. This is not always possible. Cropping with one's feet is great but is often physically impossible. That also takes time. Additionally, using a zoom, the photographer can often compose an image using varied focal lengths without needing to physically move the shooting position.

If I were to shoot such an event with a full-frame Canon system, I would use a 24-70L on one camera with a 70-200mm (series) L lens on the other. Perhaps either a third camera with a 16-35L or a 17-40L or that lens in my shooting vest.

If I were shooting with a Canon 1.6x outfit, I would use the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS along with a 70-200mm L (series) lens on a second camera. I would use either the Tokina 11-16mm or 12-24mm in reserve - either on a third camera or in my shooting vest.

I am sure that Nikon has comparable lenses and I know that the Tokina folks supply their 11-16mm and 12-24mm lenses in Nikon mounts...

Real Name
    John

Sounds like the 105 is your fastest lens and the only one configured for you cpf?

Real Name
    Mel Timtiman

Great recommendations from the gentlemen. I would go for the 70-200 f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8 too. I would also bring a few reflectors to lessen the shadows and a CPL filter to improve the colors fo the surroundings.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

For what it's worth folks, personally, I'd avoid CP filters when shooting people, as they can cause a colour issues in the skin tones.

Real Name
    Pops

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    For what it's worth folks, personally, I'd avoid CP filters when shooting people, as they can cause a colour issues in the skin tones.
    I get to agree with this one, based on experience. My biggest beef was seeing all the different shades of skin color on ONE person after the shoot. Shot with the sun on my left, one shade. Shot with the sun on my right, another shade. Shot backlit, ... you get the idea. Lots of enlarger time was spent recovering that shoot.

Pops

"Big question is why you mention just one lens?"

Because this specific scenario (word for word) is a test question for an online photography course.

I was looking around the internet for suggestions for outdoor photography, action shots for this class myself. It was okay to use the net for help, but I don't think this is what was meant....

Real Name
    Remco

Good catch

Just a nit: OP posted over a year ago

I know it was over a year ago, lol. It just bugged me, so I had to say something.