Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Mixed Reactions

Real Name
    Al

Mixed Reactions

I did get one decent (well, sort of) "people shot" at the Rock Show yesterday. Candid shots are difficult for me, but I like the different reactions to the same item shown here. C&C appreciated.

Canon 550D 106mm@f/8 1/80sec ISO200
    Mixed Reactions

Re: Mixed Reactions

Al

A very nice study and a true candid shot. The focus is spot on. The only thing I would say is that I think it needs a little more contrast. It looks ever so slightly washed.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Al,

A good capture and a good crop.

It could be improved in PP in several ways, well I think so

As Steve says, it is lacking contrast, but I would also;
    Clone out pen of chap with green cap
    Clone the outside background to remove the distracting angle of buildings (because I like the angle of the people)
    White balance it by trial and error, it just looks a bit odd at the moment
    Clone out the big dark shoulder on right background

It sounds bad with so many, but it isn't bad
    just helping a little

Cheers,

Real Name
    Al

Thanks Steve and Dave.

I noticed the pen after I posted the shot, and it should definitely be erased (forehead slap; How did I miss that?). I agree the shoulder in the background should go too. Oddly enough, I remembered to use a gray card (in the tent shade), and the white balance is correct according to the gray card. I thought it had a slight greenish tint to it, but decided it was just me (or my monitor), but I'll tweak it a bit by eyeball... who cares what the gray card says if it just looks odd? Some more contrast certainly can't hurt. I never even looked at the angle of the building, but it's obviously not level. I oriented the camera with the people when I took the shot, so another lesson learned - people don't always stand up straight. As Dave mentioned, the most satisfactory solution is to clone out the building instead of tilting the people.

All good feedback, thanks again.

Real Name
    Al

I cloned out the distracting objects and increased the contrast a bit. As for color balance, it seems there was a bit of green tint to the image that I removed. Possibly this was due to the fact that I photographed the gray card while it was laying flat on a table top, so it didn't pick up any color cast from brightly colored objects outside the tent. Any objects standing upright could have a slight color cast from light scattered sideways from a nearby object, but that light wouldn't color the gray card. Another lesson learned: prop up the gray card in the direction from which you'll be shooting. In this case, I would have needed to shoot the gray card after the candid shot, since there's no way of knowing when/where such shots will happen.

Maybe I should have removed the tent pole while I was at it, but it's not too bad... and tent poles are never exactly vertical, anyway.

Here's the updated version:

Mixed Reactions

Real Name
    John

I always like candid shots. I like trying them as well, there is is an element of uncertainty about the outcome, not to mention a risk of confrontation, which adds a certain frisson to the taking. Obviously one has to be much more careful than in the past and much more sensitive to a person's possible reaction but there is still a lot of enjoyment in it. I hope you keep keep it up.

In your shot the green cast you mentioned yourself spoils the effect for me. However, in Photoshop you can go a long way to eliminating it by hitting the Auto button in levels or curves so that should work in Elements also. I don't know about other programs but most must surely have a similar function. In Photoshop you can delve into curves a bit more and perhaps get an better result, but you can also get a worse one, so the auto button provides you with a useful target to beat. That's the way I like to use it and I have to say it can be quite humbling when you find it does as good (or better) job in a second as you can in an hour.

John

Real Name
    John

As for color balance, it seems there was a bit of green tint to the image that I removed.
    That has made a huge difference. That makes my post pretty superfluous. Very nice image now

John
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th February 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by ANSORB View Post
    As for color balance, it seems there was a bit of green tint to the image that I removed.
    That has made a huge difference. That makes my post pretty superfluous. Very nice image now

John
    Thanks, John. Encouragement is never superfluous!
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th February 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi AL,

Yes, that's much better, well done,