Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Nikon D90 High ISO Test Shot

Nikon D90 High ISO Test Shot

Boring/nothing shot of one of my rooms. Just testing Nikon D90 iso3200 in natural light. Exif data available.

dsc_0012-copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill44; 24th January 2009 at 04:56 AM.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: High iso test.

Looks great, although I have to say I'm surprised NOT to see several air conditioning units on your walls. 28 dec C here today and we're all feeling a bit drained - hate to think how hot it's getting across the Tasman.

Re: Nikon D90 High ISO Test Shot

40C here as I speak. In the shot my back is to the outlet of a 3HP Daikin.

Real Name
    Ian

Can't deal with all this southern hemisphere talk, when the temperatures here in the UK are around 2°C in the day. You guys are so lucky.

Real Name
    Ian

Bill44,

Back on topic, I would be interested in seeing a shot with a lot more shadow/dark tones as that tends to be where the noise shows up most.

Having said that I would expect a good performance from the D90.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Can't deal with all this southern hemisphere talk, when the temperatures here in the UK are around 2°C in the day. You guys are so lucky.
    No no - Give me 2 deg C any day!

Seriously, I used to prefer winter over summer (it's easier to keep warm than it is to keep cool), but these days I find the cold creeping more and more into my bones (old age!), but the summer heat draining - I think Spring and Autumn are now my favourite times of year!

Bill44,

Back on topic, I would be interested in seeing a shot with a lot more shadow/dark tones as that tends to be where the noise shows up most.

Having said that I would expect a good performance from the D90.
    I will no doubt find myself in that situation in the future. Being an old film man the shot was to mainly convince myself that the camera would actually take a shot at iso 3200.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Bill44 View Post
    I will no doubt find myself in that situation in the future. Being an old film man the shot was to mainly convince myself that the camera would actually take a shot at iso 3200.
    I think that people often tend to forget that - a bit like printing at very high resolutions - that the eye just can't resolve things like noise & "grain" from todays high resolution sensors in a regular, moderatly-sized photo - you'd normally have to be well on your way to "pixel peeping" to be able to see it.

For a bit of a laugh, check out the "10 Terrapixel" baby shot part way down the page here ...

http://fakechuckwestfall.wordpress.c...anuary-5-2009/

Tongue-in-cheek of course, but a bit of a message to us "pixel peepers" all the same.

You're lucky too.

What's more annoying than getting a new toy and having an average temperature of -15 C for the next two months; no shooting until march-april

Now for the ISO3200 shot, I'm impressed by the non percievable noise at this resolution... I get instant noise when bumping up to ISO1600...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrize View Post
    Now for the ISO3200 shot, I'm impressed by the non percievable noise at this resolution... I get instant noise when bumping up to ISO1600...
    Try posting one here - assuming that it's not a severe crop (or adjusted up from a severely under-exposed image), I think you'll be surprised how much the noise DOESN'T show.

-23°C at Calgary Canada at this moment!
    too cold to even think!
    Dxo test result shows D90 has the best sub-full frame sensor to date.

Real Name
    Ian

At the insane ISO of 25,600 on the latest cameras, the noise is undoubtedly noticeable, but you can shoot in pitch blackness and come out with a shot that is more than the eye can see naturally (well mine anyway). Leaves folk gobsmacked when you show them the pictures that their P&S gave up on.

I generally regard ISO 6400 as the sensible limit for the D3, but there are undoubtedly occasions when the extra latitude is useful on night shoots or in dark places. (very dark churches for instance where the vicar/priest will not allow flash). The noise can be turned to advantage as with a grain effect on traditional film shots.