Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trembling Wren

Real Name
    Pat

Trembling Wren

The Wren has a very loud song for such a small bird,(9.5cm) and when it sings the wee bird seems to tremble, I think this shot goes someway to show that.
    Best Wishes Pat

Trembling Wren

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Trembling Wren

Nicely captured Pat and I love the background.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Very nice, Pat. Look at that bokeh... it's "bokehlicious"!

Real Name
    Steve

Nice shot pat. Very sharp ,good color, and lots of detail. Perhaps a crop where the eye is less centered would help. (personally i would like to see a little more of the post he's sitting on )

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you very much, Peter,jiro and steve for your comments.I did another crop and would be interested in your oppinion,personally I think it does enhance the image.
    Best Wishes Pat.

Trembling Wren

Real Name
    Steve

I like it alot better pat. The iron pipe adds some interest (especially with the curved part) and the eye is on the upper 1/3 line. Well done.

Real Name
    Paul

I like the first one, but this one is a far more interesting crop. Nice shot.

Real Name
    Peter

I am in two minds here Pat. I did think the bird sat a little low in the frame in the first images. I like old rusty iron and while this is a more interesting crop I now find myself looking at the pipe and the bird.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I am in two minds here Pat. I did think the bird sat a little low in the frame in the first images. I like old rusty iron and while this is a more interesting crop I now find myself looking at the pipe and the bird.
    Perhaps..............maybe because the pipe and bird are the same size. Maybe crop a little more off the bottom, but not so tight as the first one.

Real Name
    Tim

Great shot. Second crop is the keeper in my book. My favorite bird pics are those that give the viewer a little insight into the subject's behaviors.
    Last edited by tameigh; 2nd February 2011 at 02:28 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Perhaps..............maybe because the pipe and bird are the same size. Maybe crop a little more off the bottom, but not so tight as the first one.
    Great capture Pat,

I am with Steve on the crop.

rob marshall

Pat

Did you hand-hold this? It's a very nice shot indeed, and a very pretty bird. But it looks slightly bleary to me. The shutter speed was 1/60s, which seems quite slow for a bird shot. You used ISO100 - I would have thought with the 50D (have one myself) that ISO200 would have been fine, and would have given you 1/120s.

Good shot, though.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Folks.
    Thank you all for your comments which have given me great encouragement.I agree with Steve on the crop.
    Rob,the shot was taken with a tripod from a bedroom window,I was watching the bird for three days the first day it landed on the pipe(used for a clothes line) so I set up the gear aimed for the top of the pipe, the following morning the bird arrived but did'nt land on said pipe.The thrid morning the wee bird obliged and I got the shot,I was hoping to portray how the bird trembles when it sings at the top of its voice, hence I think the bleary look on it's body feathers.I am a relative newcomer to photography Rob and am wondering would I have got the same effect at a faster shutter speed. Best Wishes Pat

Love it! I like #1 better though, the metal part is too distracting in this otherwise all nature shot. I think I'd try uhm.. a vertical.. or square crop?
    Anyway, lovely colors and I like it how the bird was moving, so you got the eyes sharp but the rest of the little body a little fuzzy - looks a bit like the babylens effect, very cool

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Ollokot View Post
    Hi Folks.
    Thank you all for your comments which have given me great encouragement.I agree with Steve on the crop.
    Rob,the shot was taken with a tripod from a bedroom window,I was watching the bird for three days the first day it landed on the pipe(used for a clothes line) so I set up the gear aimed for the top of the pipe, the following morning the bird arrived but did'nt land on said pipe.The thrid morning the wee bird obliged and I got the shot,I was hoping to portray how the bird trembles when it sings at the top of its voice, hence I think the bleary look on it's body feathers.I am a relative newcomer to photography Rob and am wondering would I have got the same effect at a faster shutter speed. Best Wishes Pat
    I don't do wildlife shots, but from my few attempts I know that birds (especially small birds) can move a great deal. I would have thought you would need at least 1/100s at the very minimum. But perhaps other members who do shoot wildlife can advise better/

Real Name
    Peter

I do enjoy bird photography and normally shoot birds with a wide aperture for shallow DOF to isolate then against the background and also because it gives me a faster shutter to freeze the action because these little fellows move fast. You would not have captured the quivering motion of the bird at a faster shutter if this was what you were after but it would have given you a sharper body on the bird.