Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Heart of the Community

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The Heart of the Community

The object here was not to produce a fine art image that will hang on the walls of the world's galleries. This is part of my building up a portfolio that is my record of my community - the place that, for better or worse, I live.

When I feel confident to go forth with the 580 EX II then we'll get on to the 'people' part of the portfolio. In the meantime, it's all about 'the place'.

The telegraph pole was a nuisance, but I've tried to make it an intrinsic part of the scene. Telegraph poles are part of the community, I'm afraid.

I'd welcome your comments on the question - If you were trying to tell the story of your community, do you think you might include this one?

The Heart of the Community
    40D, 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 41mm. ISO 100. 1/6@f16. Manual. 3-stop GND. 14:53.

Re: The Heart of the Community

This is absolutely wonderful, Donald! The telegraph pole just "makes" it, too. ummmmm, really? Telegraph....?

Real Name
    Paul

Donald, most times I would also stay away from the poles. However in this case....for me anyway....it helps tell the story of your village as the pole is the only one that stands out and is towering over the village. I think it shows how rural and quaint your village is. You get the sense that it is a quiet out of the way place. Rather peaceful looking.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    The telegraph pole just "makes" it, too. ummmmm, really? Telegraph....?
    Yeh, well, you know what I mean. It's probably telephone or electricity, but the generic name is 'telegraph'. We're very old-fashioned and traditional around here.

Real Name
    Mark

Take out the pole and cars and it could be a hundred years ago! Nice image , hate the pole

Real Name
    Steve

I don't mind the pole so much, but cut down that tree

Real Name
    Suzanne

What can I say Donald, I love your work. Particularly how you show us a view that at first we think we see this is a perfect fairy tale town, so quaint, and then we start to notice the trash bins, the "telegraph" pole, and the other grity realities of life. (it's still an adorable town to me though) It's subtly brilliant I think!

Real Name
    John

It's a place that I would like to visit.

Real Name
    George Montgomery

I love it. It certainly belongs in a story of your community.

Real Name
    Wendy

Hi Donald: Every time you post one of your community images I am taken back to the village where I grew up. It's strange because Glenfarg does not look at all like my old hometown, but the feeling is the same. Small community, quiet streets, and the houses pretty much as they were built. My village is not there anymore - well it is, but it's been all glitzed up for tourists now and has become a bedroom community with subdivisions (on prime farmland) in all directions. Your shots of Glenfarg take me back to that time though, and I hope your village does not suffer the same fate. I wish I had quality shots like this of my hometown so I could remember it the way it was.

The hydro pole does not bother me. It is what it is and is part of the scene. It does not add or detract from the image as a quality shot of Glenfarg, it's just there, nothing more nothing less, in fact and I don't normally analyze things like this, there are 4 verticals including the tree that kind of lead one through the image.

I like it!!

Wendy

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Donald,

Such a project is really a photojournalistic story of your community, warts and all, and it is you job to show it in all its glory but in a way that places the warts strategically so they are seen but not dominating. In this case the eye is attracted to the brightest spot (the white house) and you then lead us down the street so to me the pole is there but not the main topic.

I would include it.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The object here was not to produce a fine art image that will hang on the walls of the world's galleries. This is part of my building up a portfolio that is my record of my community - the place that, for better or worse, I live.

I'd welcome your comments on the question - If you were trying to tell the story of your community, do you think you might include this one?
    Absolutely, Donald. You aren't trying to romanticise your village - you want us to see what it is really like. And this shows us, warts and beauty, all mixed in together.

P.S. Peter - our minds must be on a tangent, wartily speaking.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Just a quick look in between meetinmgs at a work.

Thank you all for your very constructive comments. I was stuck in that dilemma between really wanting this to work and being a bit concerned about how it all fitted together.

Real Name
    Remco

Indeed Inviting a visit.

but a visit only...
    (Sorry Donald, but I have a fair idea of the Scottish climate, having spent 2 winters in the country)

Remco

Sorry Donald, but I have a fair idea of the Scottish climate, having spent 2 winters in the country
    What ever happened to the 'Auld Alliance' a bit of bad weather and they are running back to the sun drenched fields, fragrant wines and pristine beaches......oh alright I let you off then

Donald, this will sound a bit like I have been sniffing fluffy pink animals and eating wet lettuce but there is always something poetic about your work. I promise I wont break out into a resounding oration of 'An Arundel Tomb' (I can imagine that being one of Katy's favourites) but it tells a story in a structured and resounding way. I can hear the rooks homing in to roost in those trees in the background and smell wood smoke. I would not worry unduly about telegraph poles or wheelie bins it is all part of the stanza. Is that Mog Edward's forget-me-not blue Vauxhall Vectra I see parked outside Myfanwy Price's cottage......see he's got me going on old Dylan again.

Real Name
    Chris

I think you should look at your body of work and feel a degree of..."yes, this is where I live," and have a smile on your face with each image..then, I think, Mr Mack, you will have achieved your story. Were this my image a part of my home town story, it would stay.

Real Name
    Richard

Donald, this image gives me the feeling of "being there". I'd love to see a contrasting image of this shot in colour during the summer with the trees in full foliage. It would be quite a contrast I think.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Donald,

A classic record shot - with the usual excellent composition.

Lots to see, and identfiy, for those of use that know the 'british way'.

I suspect the subtleties might be lost to a casual 'non-familiar' viewer - just as I wouldn't recognise or relate to everyday objects from 'the states', NZ, France, Canada or Australia (hope I haven't missed anyone out).

Even the foreground is just so 'typical' - which is just what you want for this.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you to those who have added comments.

Steve's comments re rooks roosting in the trees is very, very accurate. In fact just as dawn is breaking each morning, hundreds and hundreds of them circle and land on that large building behind the pole (which is our local hotel/pub). My house is out of frame on the left and has a direct line of sight over to the hotel. The noise and the sight of these birds circling and landing is quite amazing. Alfred Hitchcock - eat your heart out! They stay there for about 10 minutes before taking off and heading to a big landfill site about 3 miles away, to feed for the day.
    Last edited by Donald; 31st January 2011 at 10:05 PM.