Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Some buildings

Real Name
    Raylee

Some buildings

I like architectural photography but I need to explore it some more. Here are 2 examples:

1. Some buildings

This one was taken a few months ago but I decided to add some textures to it the other day. I had problems saving the file - maybe someone can help out - as soon as I saved it as a jpeg, a cross-hatching appeared even though it didn't appear on the psd file. I had to turn off a couple of my adjustment layers to get the jpeg looking like the psd. It's still there a little bit unfortunately. Strange.

2. Some buildings

This one applies the KISS principle. Very basic adjustments to bring out the contrast and the warm tones.

Cheers

R

Real Name
    John

Re: Some buildings

I see you are a fan of daytime (1st photo) shooting. Was your back up against a wall so that you could not get more of the building in the shot?

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    I see you are a fan of daytime (1st photo) shooting. Was your back up against a wall so that you could not get more of the building in the shot?
    Not so much a fan as that's when I had the opportunity. That photo was taken diagonally across the intersection, so yes I had limited space.

Maybe other people can post their architectural photos?

R

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Raylee,

I know what you mean. I have tried to do more architectual photography since joining here, as it was not a genre I was comfortable with. It is taking shape but I am still working on it. I can see wher you are going with these shots but I am not sure the underlying shots is strong enough and the textures do not add enough to improve it. But don't stop because I can see your style working well with this concept and I think you can exhibit some great stuff.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Raylee,

I know what you mean. I have tried to do more architectual photography since joining here, as it was not a genre I was comfortable with. It is taking shape but I am still working on it. I can see wher you are going with these shots but I am not sure the underlying shots is strong enough and the textures do not add enough to improve it. But don't stop because I can see your style working well with this concept and I think you can exhibit some great stuff.
    Thanks Peter - I'll persevere

Real Name
    Peter

Please

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Maybe other people can post their architectural photos?
    Good shots, Raylee, both of those are good. Can't help with the JPEG problem, I'm afraid. I do a lot of architecture shots - there is such variety where I live. I often try to depict the buildings in an unusual way - reflections are a good example, such as this one taken in Cardiff recently.

Some buildings

And I think the inside of buildings can be just as interesting as the outside.
    Some buildings

Then of course there is the bizarre...

Some buildings

Real Name
    Raylee

Rob - do you wander around town with the camera?

1. Love the colour and the intricacies of the image - I could stare at it forever.
    2. What lens did you use here? This photo makes me feel a bit dizzy. Amazing perspective.
    3. Great sense of movement in this one. I feel like I'm looking at water.

I like

R

rob marshall

Rob - do you wander around town with the camera?
    No. I get my wife to carry it until she realizes that it's in her rucsac! Seriously - I go to specific locations where I know there are good shot opportunities. I find that revisiting places helps a lot as you get different perspectives, and of course the light changes etc.

2. What lens did you use here? This photo makes me feel a bit dizzy. Amazing perspective.
    Tokina 11-16mm. A nice lens, but only works on crop-factor sensors, so it's no good on my 5D. This was shot at f/5.6.