Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Messin' around with HDR

Real Name
    Homer

Messin' around with HDR

Saturday morning I needed an excuse to go to Neburyport. So, I took my camera and headed down to nearby Salisbury, MA. This is a honky-tonk summer resort community and I figured there ought to be a few good winter pictures.

I walked through the waterfront area and then onto the beach. Two of the buildings there are built out over the beach and I wandered under them. I had my tripod so I set it up to see if I could get any decent HDR results looking at the water.

I knew the waves would be an issue, but the difference in lighting between the building and piers and the water/sky was so dramatic that I figured, correctly, that the photos with the settings for the shade would totally blow out the sky/water allowing a single wave to be caputed and burned in.

I don't consider these great photos, but they were an interesting excercise. Besides, my one month trial with HDR Express expires in two days!

Camera information is as follows: Dimage A2, shot 0184-0188 f9 1/250 to 1/6 three shots used; shot 0169-0175 f9 1/40 to 1/400 five shots used.

Messin' around with HDR

Messin' around with HDR

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Messin' around with HDR

Nice work, Homer. I like #2 better than #1. It looks more natural to me. Good work!

Real Name
    Homer

Thanks, Willie. You must spend a lot of time on this site. I see your posts frequently. I think I could improve both shots with more careful selction of the images taken, but neither is a great composition, so what's the point? They're just for practice before my trial of HDR Express runs out. I'm not ready to buy a copy yet. I want to try a couple of other packages first. And, I'm planning to upgrade the A2. It will only bracket in three 0.55EV shots. Not enough for HDR. I did get a couple of keepers today so it was a good outing. Homer

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Homer,

Both look a bit flat to me; I think you may be protecting the highlights and shadows a bit much. In contrast (pun intended!), I had a quick play with the first one to make it a bit more contrasty ...

Messin' around with HDR

I prefer your second photo better than your first too.

I did a bit of lens correction, brighten it, and made the photo a little warmer. What do you think of it?

Messin' around with HDR

Real Name
    Homer

You have the contrast up a bit, too, but not to the point Colin brought it. Next time I'll try to find a better subject so that we can work towards an artistically interesting picture. This subject does not have any compelling reason to be photographed.

Right. Your point being?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing fire View Post
    Right. Your point being?
    Point being I'm guessing that this was an HDR trial - he's taken our suggestions onboard - and next time is keen to try something other than just a trial