Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Experimental ...

rob marshall

Experimental ...

C&C welcome.

Shot on an Epson 3490 scanner at 1200 dpi. Allure scent bottle. Moved by hand - wearing black rubber glove. Processed in CS5/ I may well sell my 5D...

Experimental ...

Pregnant? Expecting triplets? Got a scan? Shot on an Epson 3490 scanner at 2400 dpi.

Experimental ...

Shot on black perspex for the reflection, then rotated 90 deg. I think they like each other. I'll have to keep 'em apart to avoid a scandal.

Experimental ...

Re: Experimental ...

Well, Kay will certainly appreciate #2.

#3's gorgeous!

Real Name
    Chris

Great imagery...what format did you output the image to?

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Great imagery...what format did you output the image to?
    My scanner allows output to TIFF format (8 or 16 bit format). It takes a while to scan, depending upon the dpi, but for the static ones I just put it on and go for a coffee.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Your experiments are really interesting, Rob. I'd probably try the scanner method in the future. Great work!

You do realise Donald will be wandering around Glenfarg with a scanner, a Honda generator and a black rubber glove as we speak. The 40D is already in the wheelie bin. No1 turned out very well. But I am guessing the scanner is not too hot on landscapes (dont tell Donald) so I would not get rid of that 5D yet

Real Name
    Chris

Jerry Ulsman does a lot of work with scanners in his imagery. I get to work with him (briefly) this summer at an art teacher's institute with the Harn Museum in July. I'm really stoked though I've already spent a week with his wife, Maggie Taylor a couple of years back in another workshop at the Harn (University of Florida). They live in Gainesville, Fl and are good friends with the Director of Education. Both are very accomplished digital photographers/designers. I am going to be teaching an introduction to alternative printing for elementary and middle school art teachers and he is going to show how he uses printer and scanner transparencies to create textures, etc for backdrops. I've never met him and will be in pretty high cotton in his presence. His work is the featured show for the Harn this coming June.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Your experiments are really interesting, Rob. I'd probably try the scanner method in the future. Great work!
    I'm reading Mary Shelly's Frankenstein at the moment, so I'm keen to try my own experiments.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    You do realise Donald will be wandering around Glenfarg with a scanner, a Honda generator and a black rubber glove as we speak.
    I'll have you know that my black gloves worn under the ski gloves (bought exclusively for winter photography) are Merino wool. The rubber ones are used for entirely different purposes!!

I'm still trying to work out how the h... to get a decent picture from a camera never mind trying to work out how to do it with a scanner!

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'll have you know that my black gloves worn under the ski gloves (bought exclusively for winter photography) are Merino wool. The rubber ones are used for entirely different purposes!!

I'm still trying to work out how the h... to get a decent picture from a camera never mind trying to work out how to do it with a scanner!
    Donald

It's actually incredibly easy - much easier than a camera. You get about 0.5 inch DOF, so the items need to be pretty flat, unless it's something like the perfume bottle which has a flat face. The files can be pretty big (300MB), but you just resize them. they need tidying up quite a bit as you get dust. Items that are translucent such as glass work best as you get a lot of refraction of the light, which can produce some intense colours.

There is something quite sensual about being in a darkened room, and watching the disco light of your scanner slip across the bed, while you gently manipulate the perfume bottle with a black rubbered hand....

Have I said too much?

Real Name
    John

Where were these images during the abstract contest? Nice images.

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Well, Kay will certainly appreciate #2.
    I most certainly do - however I think you will find what you have shown here is a case of fraternal twinning with 1 of the twins then subsequently dividing and becoming identical twins rather than triplets per se.......you will note carefully the differences shown between the embryos to prove my point.

And Rob if you ever need a job there is a worldwide shortage of sonographers and if you are at one with being in a dark room wearing rubber gloves and operating a scanner.....dear I say it you are qualified
    remember bonuses for more than 15 per day!

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    And Rob if you ever need a job there is a worldwide shortage of sonographers and if you are at one with being in a dark room wearing rubber gloves and operating a scanner.....dear I say it you are qualified
    Er... thanks, but no thanks. I had to go for a routine chest x-ray last Monday, and I just couldn't do that. Dark room, no windows... the girls were pretty though.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    if you ever need a job there is a worldwide shortage of sonographers and if you are at one with being in a dark room wearing rubber gloves and operating a scanner.....dear I say it you are qualified
    Can't be any worse than prepping - YET ANOTHER - Windows 7 PC

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Can't be any worse than prepping - YET ANOTHER - Windows 7 PC

You need to follow Peter Lik's advice - "Get off the couch and get out there..."