Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cleaning Filters

Real Name
    Jeroen

Cleaning Filters

I have a question about hot to clean filters properly, ie dust (in combination with that) dried drops of rain.

I have this Carl Zeis lens cleaning set with a brush for dusts and a cloth with some cleaning spray. Would that be useful to clean filters aswell?
    Would the spray damage coatings on filters?

The two filters I use most are a B&W ND and a B&W Slim CPL (both not equipped with the Multi Resistant Coating) so I believe coatings aren't the problem here since B&W uses adjusted glass instead of coatings for their filters.

So the question is: am I right on that last thought and will the cleaning set be appropriate for filter cleaning in general?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Cleaning Filters

Quote Originally Posted by JK6065 View Post
    So the question is: am I right on that last thought and will the cleaning set be appropriate for filter cleaning in general?
    Hi Jeroen,

All I use is a bit of "huff" and a microfiber cloth.

Real Name
    Rachel

My dogs give mine a quick lick clean every now and then!

Real Name
    Pops

The key is to not use very much pressure. The coating are pretty tough, but they can be scratched.

If I really need more than a "huff" I'll put a drop of cleaner on the corner of my microfiber cloth and wipe gently, after having brushed all the grit off the filter/lens. Then use the dry end of the cloth to finish.

I buy the microfiber cloths from WalMart at 8 for $5.00. They work very well. I will sometimes use a cleaning fluid from the local optometrist, but usually make my own from alcohol diluted 50/50 with distilled water. Make sure the alcohol is the clear stuff. The colored alcohols have junk in them which can smear your glass.

I have heard the wet lens cleaning papers are OK, these days. I've never used them, as I was taught, back in the 40 and 50s, to never touch my lens with anything which used to be a tree.

Pops

Real Name
    Richard

I always ensure that the filter or lens is clean of grit/dust by using either a blower or a brush (I have a combination blower brush) before I use a cloth and fluid to clean the filter/lens.

I try to clean my filters/lenses as seldom as possible. Using a protective filter will protect the lens from debris and finger prints and using a lens hood will also help prevent the filter/lens from becoming dirty.

The trick is always put whatever cleaning fluid you are using on the swab or cloth you are using for cleaning. Don't drip the fluid directly on the lens and don't saturate the filter/lens with any fluid.

Micro fiber cloths are great but, in the old days, I used worn-out tee-shirt material to clean filters/lenses. After a tee-shirt has been washed innumerable times, it becomes lint free and extremely soft.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Micro fiber cloths are great but, in the old days, I used worn-out tee-shirt material to clean filters/lenses. After a tee-shirt has been washed innumerable times, it becomes lint free and extremely soft.
    I used to use brushed cotton nappies (for lens cleaning).

Real Name
    Pete

Never underestimate the huff and your cotton T-shirt (gently)

Real Name
    Robin

I'm pretty rough with mine and when they get really scruffy they get a wash under running water with a drop or two of washing-up liquid to help break the surface tension.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    I'm pretty rough with mine and when they get really scruffy they get a wash under running water with a drop or two of washing-up liquid to help break the surface tension.
    I use liquid soap as well but generally the anti-bacterial as it has alcohol which helps reduce any residual soap...also, I have a really soft watercolor wash brush I use to swish over the soapy surface. I find fingers sometimes harbor dust and other debris which isn't good on the lens coatings.