Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A single beauty.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

A single beauty.

A single beauty.

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, 50mm f1.8D lens, Exposure at f8 at 1/2 second in Manual Mode. Single 60-watts lamp light source with reflector on the other end.

Real Name
    Yegor

Re: A single beauty.

Amazingly! All works! I have always a problem with light... It is possible to see, where and what angle there is a lamp? Thanks

Real Name

Thanks for the nice comment, Yegor.

The main light is on the right of the bud. About 2 1/2 feet away and is almost 9 inches above the level of the flower. I'm using a single 60-Watts incandescent lamp for that. Then I use a mirror to reflect some light on the stalk area. The background is an ordinary black cardboard paper. As you can notice, it does not become totally black because it is still reflecting some light on the surface. Some additional contrast and darkening adjustments was done using photoshop. A strobe would definitely be better but I don't have one yet. Hope this helps, Yegor.

Real Name
    Yegor

I'll try now! THNX

Me too use a black paper, and matte black glass from...... Bedside-tables)))) as a reflector of subject matter of shooting
    Last edited by Skitalez; 23rd January 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Jiro! One of the best posts yet. I love the sweep of the stem and the contrast.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Darlow View Post
    Jiro! One of the best posts yet. I love the sweep of the stem and the contrast.
    I agree. Beautifully arranged, shot and presented.

Real Name
    Steve

very nice comp. jiro. A couple of things to consider, are angle of light and softness of light. You have a hard shadow across the center of the stem. Are you softening the light in any way?

Real Name
    Paul

I would agree with all before me, well done Jiro.

Real Name

Thank you very much, Diane, Donald, Steve, and Paul for the warm comments. I always appreciate you guys viewing my work.

As for the light, since the light is almost side lit and very low (about 9 " above the bud) and also very close (only 2 1/2 feet away using a regular table lamp), it is giving that long and semi-hard shadows. No, I did not soften anything on the shot. The only adjustment I did on the post-processing was the contrast and the additional darkening of the background. I hope this helps, Steve.
    Last edited by jiro; 23rd January 2011 at 06:32 PM.

Real Name

Yegor, post your work so we can see it.

Real Name
    Yegor

By the way - there is a question! Except for artificial illumination how you did a shot? In a dark room or at day time illumination?

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Skitalez View Post
    By the way - there is a question! Except for artificial illumination how you did a shot? In a dark room or at day time illumination?
    In the kitchen at the kitchen table night time with all the lights out except for the table lamp. Hope this helps, Yegor.
    Last edited by jiro; 23rd January 2011 at 09:49 PM.

Real Name
    Yegor

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

I love that picture...

almost feel the romantisme....when looking at that picture, I could see the glass of champagne..etc...

Real Name
    Yegor

Result - will soon cease to give women (or who as) flowers, but only the photos of Jiro))))))))))))))))))

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by mariejo View Post
    I love that picture...

almost feel the romantisme....when looking at that picture, I could see the glass of champagne..etc...
    Thanks Mariejo. The glass of champagne is actually my next subject. LOL!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Skitalez View Post
    Result - will soon cease to give women (or who as) flowers, but only the photos of Jiro))))))))))))))))))
    You're funny, Yegor.

Hi, Jiro! I'm almost afraid to comment because I'm afraid that you'll all think that I've gone sophomoric.

I see what everyone else is seeing - a lovely photo. Jiro, may I brainstorm for a moment? As a fellow lover of David duChemin, I wonder, myself, about how to take a photo of a flower that's unique and that really brings out a thought and a feeling. I'm genuinely struggling with the thought of this. When I first came here, someone (I think that it was Wirefox) said that I should not only take photos of "things" but, how I feel about the "thing". You read "Within the Frame", too. Anyway, sometimes, I think that a photo is just about experimenting with light and technicalities - practicing for a "greater" shot. (Don't read too much into that, please.) Anyway, Jiro, I'm pretty sure that you understand what I mean. What is it about the subject that you want to bring out? What feeling are you trying to get across? That's what I'm working on, at the moment (really,.... always), anyway.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Hi, Jiro! I'm almost afraid to comment because I'm afraid that you'll all think that I've gone sophomoric.

I see what everyone else is seeing - a lovely photo. Jiro, may I brainstorm for a moment? As a fellow lover of David duChemin, I wonder, myself, about how to take a photo of a flower that's unique and that really brings out a thought and a feeling. I'm genuinely struggling with the thought of this. When I first came here, someone (I think that it was Wirefox) said that I should not only take photos of "things" but, how I feel about the "thing". You read "Within the Frame", too. Anyway, sometimes, I think that a photo is just about experimenting with light and technicalities - practicing for a "greater" shot. (Don't read too much into that, please.) Anyway, Jiro, I'm pretty sure that you understand what I mean. What is it about the subject that you want to bring out? What feeling are you trying to get across? That's what I'm working on, at the moment (really,.... always), anyway.
    I'm glad you asked this, Katy. Here's the story behind the title and the image:

My wife bought some tulips, kept them in her room, and let them mature. It was a very nice feeling just to watch all these flowers in the corner of the room. Slowly, they start to wither and die. This bulb was the last one to hold her beauty from the rest. I was trying to create an image with them all together but unable to do it. Too many objects vying for attention. At the last moment, I decided just to concentrate on one bulb, and this was it. Hence, the title... A single beauty. I, personally like the way the stem seems to reach out to the light source. That I intentionally created when I framed the image.

I'm still practicing on making my images simpler but holding their message well. I hope I did it here. If not, I still have a lot of things to learn, and I always enjoy learning. Thanks for your comment my fellow classmate.

Very cool! Respect, dude!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast