Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Colour

Colour

Raylee introduced me to the work of couple of Australian artists and I was very struck with their vivid use of colour. We had a great sunset tonight but the results were not as planned

Colour

Colour

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Colour

Hi Steve,

The first reminds me of the one that sold for $1,000,000.

Do you feel lucky today?

The first reminds me of the one that sold for $1,000,000.

Do you feel lucky today?
    Well if you are offering I can do you an Administrator's discount

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Well if you are offering I can do you an Administrator's discount
    Do Mods get the same discount?

Back to your best, sir (not of course that you were ever away)!

rob marshall

I like #2 very much, and I think it should go for $2m (we will have a collection). Is that why you have the bar code on there, ready for the sale? Very creative, Steve. very you. You really ought to change the title/name on your avatar/signature to read 'Master Photographer'.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Very nice and 'artistically' done.

Real Name
    Chris

Both have a nice, vivid look to them but the second one is almost at that 60's psychedelic point...I like.

Real Name
    Raylee

I love them Steve! I like them both but number 1 really does it for me. It's the blue that brings the whole image together.

I've been reading a little about colour theory and no 1 helps me understand what I've read. The blue and green are analogous colours ie next to each other on the colour wheel. The blue and orange are complementary colours ie opposite each other on the colour wheel. I've only read a little bit - I need to do some more reading to get a better understanding - but I've learnt that analogous colours are harmonising, while complementary colours are contrasting. That's about the end of my understanding at the moment.

Good stuff Steve!

Real Name
    Richard

I am not usually keen on abstracts but, I really like both of these...

Real Name
    Chris

If you or anyone else would like, I have an entire lesson on color theory. It is designed for high school students, but really simplifies the relationships in an intelligent, non-dumbed down manner. I can post it next week when I get back to the classroom or PM it as one would like.

Real Name
    Raylee

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    If you or anyone else would like, I have an entire lesson on color theory. It is designed for high school students, but really simplifies the relationships in an intelligent, non-dumbed down manner. I can post it next week when I get back to the classroom or PM it as one would like.
    Sounds good to me!

Real Name
    Pops

I'd very much like a PM of it, please. That is one of the things I have trouble explaining to my students. Probably because I don't understand it as well as I should.

Pops

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    I'd very much like a PM of it, please. That is one of the things I have trouble explaining to my students. Probably because I don't understand it as well as I should.

Pops
    I'll send you both the short and long version. Both pretty much say the same thing in the overview, but the long version goes into great depth especially in how colors translate to B&W. Right now, I have my first year students shooting four different objects in four different shades of black on a black background and the same as per white on a white background just to try to get them to make that color to B&W translation. The closer they can get on each scale, the better the grade. My advanced digital students have to do the same exercise but stay in color...much harder. Lighting can only enhance but not be a factor in the variation of shades.

You are all way too kind. Thank you for your comments.

Do Mods get the same discount?
    No, but you get a free CiC camera strap with every purchase.
    You really ought to change the title/name on your avatar/signature to read 'Master Photographer
    '.

If and when....if and when

I've been reading a little about colour theory and no 1 helps me understand what I've read. The blue and green are analogous colours ie next to each other on the colour wheel. The blue and orange are complementary colours ie opposite each other on the colour wheel. I've only read a little bit - I need to do some more reading to get a better understanding - but I've learnt that analogous colours are harmonising, while complementary colours are contrasting. That's about the end of my understanding at the moment.
    Last time I looked at that was in a home decorating book in 90's. I am curious though. I do everything by eye so it will be interesting to see if I am close to the book theory. Having been an engineer I put a lot of faith in the old "if it looks right it probably is right"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

You are all way too kind.
    I know!

... but you get a free CiC camera strap with every purchase.
    Already got the only one ever produced. But am willing to auction it online.
    Colour

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Steve, these are both stunning but #2 in particular, does it for me. The red/yellow/green combo - great.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Yes, please, Chris. I'm moving into a different area photographically at the moment and this would be helpful. Either post or pm, whatever suits you best.