Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Frost for Katy

Real Name
    Wendy

Frost for Katy

Katy, this is for you. You've apologized so many times because you feel you are copying me. So now I ask you, If you post a picture of frost on a window and then I post a picture of frost on a window - is that copying??? BTW I was trying for beautiful sparkly frost like what you had (copying?), but couldn't come close so I settled for the grungy look.

Just for the record, I am very happy that you and I like the same type of shots. We can learn from each other. As far as the copying business, most of the time I am trying for a look or a style that I have seen and liked somewhere else. Sometimes I believe I come up with a unique idea and go that route only to find someone else has done it already, and sometimes the style that I think I've discovered has even been around long enough to have a name. I'm not sure if anything can be considered truly original, because we are influence by everything that we see hear and read. I do know that each person brings something different to what they do, and even if people are working in the same style nothing they do will ever be exactly the same and that is a good thing.

Long story short - please, no more apologies, and if you see teasels and weeds and snowy things or anything else that you want to photograph, don't let the fact that you might have seen something similar somewhere else stop you. What you do will always be different from what someone else has done.

Anyway, here is my frost shot. It's not pretty, but it is what it is. I do love yours by the way, and lo and behold the day after you posted your shots, I noticed frost on the shed window. Was it there before and I did not notice it, or did I notice it because I wanted to "copy" your shots? - The thought came to my mind - but does it really matter.

Old Dirty Frosted Window
    Frost for Katy

Wendy
    Last edited by ScoutR; 21st January 2011 at 03:28 PM. Reason: fix URL

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Frost for Katy

I like this response. There are few days that go by on this forum, I don't see something I like and wish to try to emulate. If one copied directly everything you did, that would be a completely different story but in this case as in what I try to do is learn from another person whom I feel is either, "one to something," or someone I consider to be a far more accomplished image maker than me.
    They (whomever "they" are) say that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." Perhaps so...I think more the case is that by learning a new technique from someone else's technique, then passing them on for the good of the order, that is, quite simply, the sincerity this group wishes to promulgate to the world. And hoorah, for that sense of goodness.

Real Name
    Chris

I really like your treatment of the window frame and that you used it as your Mat..nice touch...I am sure I will try this at some time myself...and flatter you to no end...

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks for saying that you didn't mind people trying to make similar shots. As an amature I find that I need ideas of what looks good and what we believe does not.
    If anything I would think that people would appreciate the fact that fellow photographers thought the photos worthy the experiment. That's one way we learn by trial and error. I like see if I might be able to get a similar result.
    I would hope that people would not get upset but be somewhat honoured instead.

Wendy, you said it perfectly!

....and this is really cool and completely different from mine. I think that it's Donald that has a photo of a "grungy" window that - isn't icy frosted but opaque. I've just been wondering if I could get that effect in some house shots that I liked to try; so, there you go. Nothing new under the sun.

Very fun!

btw, Wendy, it's nice to have you around - I've missed you. =]
    Last edited by Katy Noelle; 21st January 2011 at 05:17 PM.