Thread: How to open multiple images in CS5 & ACR from Window's default "My Pictures" folder?

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

How to open multiple images in CS5 & ACR from Window's default "My Pictures" folder?

I can open one image by right clicking and using "open with" function, but I can't work out how to get multiple images open from Window's (XP) default "My Pictures" folder for say batch processing, in either ACR or Photoshop itself. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I simply going to have to use Bridge?

Real Name
    Peter

Re: How to open multiple images in CS5 & ACR from Window's default "My Pictures" fold

Hi Kit,

I do not do it directly from Windows XP. Open Bridge via CS4 or 5 and then choose as many images as you want and you get the choice to 'Open with...' and they will all open.

Re: How to open multiple images in CS5 & ACR from Window's default "My Pictures" fold

I'm not sure if I fully understand this question, Kit, but I suspect that you are approaching the function from the wrong direction.

Open CS5; go to File menu and browse to the folder; select the required images and click Open. The images get stacked in CS5 and the filenames appear across the top of the edit window.

For Raw images, the same thing applies except the files are stacked on the left side of the ACR edit window.

I think that working the other way, using the Windows Open With function, only allows for the selection of one image at a time.

Bridge is a very good and easy to use system for selecting images; although you may need to choose the operating option which best suits you. I tend to prefer the Filmstrip option; or sometimes the Preview version.

But having said that, I never do batch processing because everyone of my 'keepers' will require individual editing. Although I do sometimes open 2 images and display them side by side in separate window panes for close comparison.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I'm not sure if I fully understand this question, Kit, but I suspect that you are approaching the function from the wrong direction.

Open CS5; go to File menu and browse to the folder; select the required images and click Open. The images get stacked in CS5 and the filenames appear across the top of the edit window.

For Raw images, the same thing applies except the files are stacked on the left side of the ACR edit window.

I think that working the other way, using the Windows Open With function, only allows for the selection of one image at a time.

Bridge is a very good and easy to use system for selecting images; although you may need to choose the operating option which best suits you. I tend to prefer the Filmstrip option; or sometimes the Preview version.

But having said that, I never do batch processing because everyone of my 'keepers' will require individual editing. Although I do sometimes open 2 images and display them side by side in separate window panes for close comparison.
    Geoff - you get the candy this time!! That is exactrly what I needed. Never thought of opening PS first, and then loading the images. How blonde.....

On occasions I need to do some global tweaks to a set of images, eg adjuct the white balance etc and it has been such a pain doing this one by one. I see that ACR has a helpful "syncronise" button too. My day is looking brighter...

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Hi Kit,

I do not do it directly from Windows XP. Open Bridge via CS4 or 5 and then choose as many images as you want and you get the choice to 'Open with...' and they will all open.
    Hi Peter and thanks for that. I'm still weighing up using Bridge as last time I tried it, it just didn't do what I wanted it too. But that was a number of iterations ago and it seems to have changed quite a bit.

Real Name
    Chris

I love bridge...it batch processes with the greatest of ease. I actually like it better for photo import than Lightroom which I find tedious.