Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: "Ouest France" Cross Country

Real Name
    Thierry

"Ouest France" Cross Country

For understanding of the thread title, I would like to explain that "Ouest France" is a regional newspaper oirganiszing yearly this competition.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: "Ouest France" Cross Country

#1 and 4 is a sure winner for me. If I may comment, I'd probably increase the exposure adjustment a little bit using some pp to make it all brighter. Nice images!

Real Name
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    #1 and 4 is a sure winner for me. If I may comment, I'd probably increase the exposure adjustment a little bit using some pp to make it all brighter. Nice images!
    Thanks for your comment jiro

Real Name
    Tim

They seem just a little bit on the cool side regarding WB. It seems like they are in the shade, as the sun is shining in the background, and the images are warmer there. Maybe you need to warm up the foreground, and then cool the sunlit parts?

Real Name
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    They seem just a little bit on the cool side regarding WB. It seems like they are in the shade, as the sun is shining in the background, and the images are warmer there. Maybe you need to warm up the foreground, and then cool the sunlit parts?
    Thanks for your reply Tim. Considering my position versus sun, your point of view is of interest however w/ LR or CS the partial modification of WB for one part and a diffrent wb for an other part is not in my knowledge of post processing. If you can explain me I will highly appreciate

Real Name
    Kay

Very nice work again Thierry - you have captured the energy and effort expended of/by the runners very well.

I like the struggling expression of the runners compared with a somewhat indifference from the spectators.

And yes I agree with Jiro about a little extra brightness, but do watch for those potential 'hot spots'. Possibly another candidate for using a layer with a mask to hide any overexposed areas after adjustment.

What software are you using? Once you get used to using layers and masks you will wonder how you managed without them; basically quite simple although they can seem a touch daunting at first.

I would use a similar method for setting 2 different white balances.

Basically, start with the main image, preferably a Raw file and edit it for the main photo. Then do a second edit for the alternative white balance. Place the alternative onto a layer and add a mask (the difficult decision is whether to use a Reveal All Mask or a Hide All Mask). Then use a suitable soft brush with a fairly low opacity (say 30%) to gradually remove the unwanted areas from this layer.

You should be offered a choice of a black or white brush. Very simply, a black brush removes areas of a Reveal All Mask while a white brush removes areas of a Hide All Mask. There are other options but I'm trying to stick to the basics.

Do we have a tutorial on this, or can someone explain it better than me? I understand what I'm trying to explain but I'm struggling for words!

There is a lot about using layers here http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/l...1/layers-1.htm and a great deal about selections and masks here http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/s...lections-1.htm but these articles do go into quite a bit of detail which may seem confusing at first.

ps. If this is of any help, I have also tried to demonstrate using layers, masks and 2 different white balance settings in another post Before and after but I'm still not sure that I have explained it well.
    Last edited by Geoff F; 19th January 2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Link added

Real Name
    Thierry

thanks a lot for the information geoff. That's not an obvious task but that's a very intesresting way to achieve it

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Very nice work again Thierry - you have captured the energy and effort expended of/by the runners very well.
    Thanks Kay