Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Even the elephants.....

Even the elephants.....

I have lived in South Africa all my life, but never saw this before. It was so hot here, that the elephants lay in the water, submerging themselves totally. These pics are for interest not as photographic creations to study.
    Even the elephants.....
    2 feet above sea level.

Even the elephants.....
    Anyone want to snorkel?

rob marshall

Re: Even the elephants.....

Diane

Perhaps you should start a fund to get some scuba gear for them?

Is this something to do with global warming? Higher temperatures and a need to cool off more?

I wonder? I will have to do some research, Rob, but our city is experiencing a serious drought at the moment.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Darlow View Post
    I wonder? I will have to do some research, Rob, but our city is experiencing a serious drought at the moment.
    Well, even the weather at the other end of the scale, such as the Australia floods are supposedly due to temperature changes in the Pacific - the El Nino/La Nina effect.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Dianne,

Here is one I took of elephants swimming across the Chobe River. The matriarch led the way and the herd kept the young ones in the middle so the crocodiles didn’t get them. They swim completely submerged and breath through their trucks. Great to see.

Even the elephants.....
    Last edited by Peter Ryan; 17th January 2011 at 05:03 AM.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Diane

Is this something to do with global warming?
    The kind of winters northern hemisphere has seen this season, "global warming" concerns have become questionable.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    The kind of winters northern hemisphere has seen this season, "global warming" concerns have become questionable.
    Sorry to disagree Sahil, but the horrendous weather that many parts of the world have been suffering this season can very much be directly linked to the issue of the induced accelelration of climate change by humankind(global warming has become a not-very-help generic term that doesn't accurately describe what is now known about humankind's impact on the environment and the climate in particular).

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Sorry to disagree Sahil, but the horrendous weather that many parts of the world have been suffering this season can very much be directly linked to the issue of the induced accelelration of climate change by humankind(global warming has become a not-very-help generic term that doesn't accurately describe what is now known about humankind's impact on the environment and the climate in particular).
    Yes, my fault. I think most experts now avoid the term global warming as people in the temperate zones started saying "I thought it was supposed to be getting hotter?" when all that has happened is that it's got colder, wetter, and windier in many of those areas. 'Climate change' covers everything.

I think the theory is that changes in temperature in the seas at equitorial regions, especially the Pacific, can cause disruptions to weather patterns across the globe. The El Nino and La Nina effects primarily, which they say affects our weather here. Guess it's time to get a new Gortex jacket and turn the central-heating up!

Goodness! It's taking me a long time to respond to threads, these days. I have so much on my mind and plate, at the moment!

I'm sure that your concerns are right about global warming and el nino, etc. or, I guess, climate change. It used to seem that every summer, when it was hot, or, if we had a warm spot in the winter, everyone would cry "global warming" which was still called a theory at that point. I would argue because this issue is on such a bigger scale than the weather from week to week. I just can't ignore the plight of the poor polar bears, though.

Diane, I am so enjoying your photos from Africa. So many amazing animals! Thanks for sharing this. I'm sorry that I haven't said this before!

Thanks Katy. I must admit, I love Africa and her people, and wouldn't change it for the snow drifts and rain that others go through. However, when I read Chris' posts about dpi and filing, and I look at the tutorials about photoshopping photographs, and even more when I look at the crisp photographs that so many of you send in and I wonder when I will understand it all and actually produce photos that are actually good! So a little word from you is encouraging.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I wonder when I will understand it all and actually produce photos that are actually good! .
    One day it will fall into place and you'll look back on the day when you wondered whether you'd ever understand it all.

Those of who do know the jargon and what it means tend to use it in a way that assumes everyone else knows what we're on about. Please don't let anything pass you by. If you're not sure what someone is saying, then please do come right back in asking - 'What are you talking about?'

Thanks Katy. I must admit, I love Africa and her people, and wouldn't change it for the snow drifts and rain that others go through. However, when I read Chris' posts about dpi and filing, and I look at the tutorials about photoshopping photographs, and even more when I look at the crisp photographs that so many of you send in and I wonder when I will understand it all and actually produce photos that are actually good! So a little word from you is encouraging.
    Hooray that you're encouraged! You should be, you have such an artistic eye for things. When I first got, here, to CiC, I felt that my photos were dull and not very clear and, well, I'm still growing but they've helped me an awful lot! Every once and a while, I go back and read my first posted threads for help, where I received so much good advice - that I barely understood, then - and I understand it so much better, every time.

Did you ever see that Disney movie (Geesh! Disney must be on all of our minds, or something.), "Finding Nemo"? In it, the blue angel fish, Dori (who I feel an unfortunate resemblance to ) says, "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming! Just keep swimming, etc." Meaning (if you didn't see the movie), just keep practicing and learning and, I think, we'll all get there.

That reminds me of my own motto - "Carry on regardless." I will, but I am very aware that I want to get some of the learning under my belt before posting again - mainly because I am really busy at this time of year - here in South Africa our school year starts tomorrow and my organisation is trying to start it first school which we hope will make a difference in the lives of the African children who up till now, received substandard education. So I am prioritising "work not play" even at night for a few days.

That reminds me of my own motto - "Carry on regardless." I will, but I am very aware that I want to get some of the learning under my belt before posting again - mainly because I am really busy at this time of year - here in South Africa our school year starts tomorrow and my organisation is trying to start it first school which we hope will make a difference in the lives of the African children who up till now, received substandard education. So I am prioritising "work not play" even at night for a few days.