Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tall ships

Real Name
    Chris

Tall ships

This one falls into that "all others" category...but I had a good time today visiting a fairly good sized three-masted schooner that is spending the weekend in port. I've done a lot of wacky-tabaccy editing on it in various programs.

Tall ships
    Last edited by MiniChris; 16th January 2011 at 03:45 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Tall ships

Chris

I like that.

The composition gives us, I think, a real sense of the power and grace of a vessel such as this.

I could not understand why nobody had commented on this before. Chris, I love the metallic effect you have achieved. There is some serious clipping going on but it does not matter because the overall effect is very pleasing and as Donald points out the composition suits the subject matter very well

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    I could not understand why nobody had commented on this before. Chris, I love the metallic effect you have achieved. There is some serious clipping going on but it does not matter because the overall effect is very pleasing and as Donald points out the composition suits the subject matter very well
    I couldn't get that brillance off the metal parts without allowing the clips to happen...and as you said, it works okay within this altered environment. Thank you for the appreciative comments...boy, is there ever a lot of learning curves to overcome...but so much fun, who's complaining.

boy, is there ever a lot of learning curves to overcome...but so much fun, who's complaining.
    To be honest Chris I think you are probably way ahead of most of us with PP learning. You have moved on at a shocking pace

Real Name
    Janis

To be honest Chris I think you are probably way ahead of most of us with PP learning. You have moved on at a shocking pace
    Hasn't he though. I am still struggling with learning all of the functions on my camera. Chris, I find your compositions are getting stronger all the time as well. I am impressed at your handling of visually complex material. (Says she who gave up on trying to do DOF effects with her antique spinning wheel after about fifty photos and has resorted to photographing teddy bears.)

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Yeah,

I think it's his film experience showing

Chris knows what he wants to achieve, all he has to do is experiment to find out how to get it with digital PP

He's learning how to drive a new type of car, but knows the destination.

Whereas a lot of us are still trying to master the controls AND google the address AND read the map simultaneously

Well done Chris,

Real Name
    Chris

I think the film background is a large help though odly enough from a different perspective than you might think. I look at a scene as having three functions: first, it must be able to hold itself as it sits without any other explanations or devices; second there has to be something which came before it and your image is a fianlization of that prvious experience, lastly; the scene must allow the eye to comptemplate the next minute, hour, week or other time frame which will forever alter your chosen moment. In other words, there has to be a sense of continuity editing always taking place.

I am an admitted overachiever and will work at something until I find a reasonable solution. I appreciate everyone's comments and kudos but I still feel much like a babe in the woods.

Real Name
    Yegor

Impresses! And what you used? Any prog????

Real Name
    Peter

I agree with all of the above and I can definitley see you rising to the challenge of this new digital age.

Real Name
    Steve

Chris, i like this as well. It is really tough to look at a large object and choose a small portion to photograph.(you have a good eye) You not only chosen an interesting portion of the ship, but picked a processing style to enhance it further. Great job.

Real Name
    Paul

Well done Chris, great perspective.

Real Name
    Chris

I did this in Photoshop and Silver Efex Pro. There are at least 8 trips in and out of both with a bunch of extreme exaggerated work done on the original image before it ever went to silver. I am discovering a lot of new techniques simply by experimenting. PhotoShop and SEP are so intuitive though I do find Silver to be annoying in alot of ways as per magnification and sizing the control points...oh well, it is certainly better than do a channel monochrome fix.
    Many thanks for the compliments. Am enjoying the company and time spent.