Thread: In conversation with... Shadowman

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

In conversation with... Shadowman

©Image, Steve (Wirefox)

Name: John

CiC: Thanks very much for taking the time to talk to us today.

It’s a pleasure to participate.

Perhaps we can start by you telling us something about your working life, both now and from the past?

I started out in the field of carpentry with an interest in the arts, years ago I supported myself making posters for local concerts currently working in the field of research.

If you were staying in tonight, what would you choose as one of your favourite books and/or films to keep you entertained, and what you be having as a favourite meal?

I like all types of film but I would count Galaxy Quest and Silence of the Lambs as two of my favorites. I am an avid Stephen King fan and will pick up any of his books for a night of reading. My favourite meal would be pan seared ribeye steak, sauteed spinach, bread, preceded by a bourbon on the rocks.

What other things fire your interest, apart from photography?

I love to travel having visited at least three continents (Asia, Europe, and South America) numerous times. My former passion was painting and sketching but I lost the desire some time ago, the pastels irritated my fingers and the charcoal was so messy and I suppose photography has become my one remaining link to creativity.

Let's get on to photography. How long have you been a photographer, and what got you interested in the first place?

I’ve always had some type of camera (I still have my Polaroid Instant camera without the film cartridges of course) and used a point and shoot film camera for many years. I made the switch to digital about twelve years ago and have been slowly adding to my collection of cameras. As a seasoned traveler, I loved capturing images to share with family and friends and the photography bug has expanded beyond vacation photos.

What type of photography are you interested in, and why?

I use photography in my field of research, food preservation, so still life and food photography are a few styles I practice regularly. I am a life long admirer of the human form so figurative art was one of my many subjects and this has crossed over into photography. Architecture has always been fascinating for me. I remember as a child I would watch for hours how the sunlight reflected off windows and buildings and created mysterious shadows around the corners of the structures. This desire to see the play of shadows and highlights makes following the rules of photography so difficult, as my periods of gazing usually occurred during the afternoon hours of the day, and we all know this is the wrong time of day to take photographs.

Any particular photographic influences?

Helmut Newton has been a big influence on my art as well as my photography. Newton’s images were about beauty, but he combined his photos with the ugliness of the times he lived in. Viewers sometimes overlooked the message behind the images and concentrated solely on the nudity. I think his work for Vogue magazine and his portraits are above anything created today. Of course other periodicals of the era, such as Time, Life, and Rolling Stones magazine also played a big part in my introduction to the arts.

What do you hope to achieve through your photography - or what have you achieved already?

I like to see people smile more than anything else when they see one of my images. Sometimes they cry or cringe if the image is upsetting enough. I never know how people will react to my photography but I guess that’s part of why we show others our images, to see how they will react.

Editor's Pick1: Rolling Bank

What you think of CiC? Any way it could be improved? Where should it go from here, in your opinion?

I’ve only been a member for a short time period but I am glad I joined. CiC is a great learning tool and a great place to test your skills as a photographer. Where should it go from here? I see a CiC cruise in the future, to Antarctica perhaps! Hmmmm…..

What keeps you awake at night, apart from Photoshop?

It doesn’t take much, Sundays are always stressful, but I usually overcome the issues by Wednesday and then it starts all over again the next week.

What photographic gear do you own, and what software do you use for editing?

Obsolete equipment: the Polaroid Instant camera mentioned earlier, numerous film cameras, a Pentax digital point and shoot, a Nikon (S220) digital point and shoot, Nikon P90, and Nikon D60. I have the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6. I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 and Nikon ViewNX software.

How would you rate your photographic skills and ability?

I am still an amateur, I consider myself an intuitive photographer, I use instinct to determine what I consider to be a good image, however I acknowledge that my instincts can sometimes be wrong and will force myself to follow tradition when needed. I have the ability to capture a good image now and then, I am still working on the technical skills.

Editor's Pick2: Merci

What will the digital camera be like in 2020? And will you still own one?

Video has been slowly overtaking photography just like photography has been slowly replacing painting. Each style lends itself to the other and the influence of one will always add to next. Have you noticed how filmmakers use storyboards to setup their shots, it’s not all about economics, they are calling on their earlier experiences in film school to achieve their artistic goals. I believe I will still own a digital camera in 2020 but you never know what new technology comes around, maybe holographic/computer imagery.

Are you in a position to help or encourage others in their photography?

I have a few friends who still use film cameras and while I don’t encourage them to switch I do try to help them with difficult subject matter.

Do you consider photography to be art?

Definitely, but with a difference. When I see a work of art I wonder how the painter achieved the imagery. You usually view a painting from a distance and that distance from the painting is what makes the illusion work. To really see how an artist achieved the intricate white lace depicted in the painting you have to look closely and you see the brush strokes used. In photography distance from the image is still key, I now know what elements the photographer uses, shutter speed, aperture, and lighting but I want to see how well the image holds up as I draw nearer. I trust the painter’s ability to create a likeness but I hold the photographer to another standard.

How do you feel about having your own shot taken?

I have a good side and a bad side, I can’t trust photographers to know which is which.

What single piece of advice do you think is most useful to someone starting out with photography?

It’s a cliché but practice, practice, practice and it’s not all about succeeding or achieving a goal. You’ll get more enjoyment out of undertaking a difficult task and failing then by giving up or getting the answer without trying. An example would be trying to photograph the full moon. An expert could setup the camera for you and tell you to click the shutter release. You will capture the image but you won’t know how it was done or why it worked. And even if you left the camera at the same settings, thirty days from now, would you capture the same quality of image?

Can we see one of your shots that means something special to you, and could you explain why.

The shot I have included is from my trip to India a few years ago. It was a great life experience and I was also able to capture this great sunrise. It helped inspire me to want to include more night shots in my collection.

Sunrise on the Ganges:

Finally, can you give us one interesting/weird/silly thing about you that we probably don’t know?

I am still scared silly when I watch the Wizard of Oz. Those poor, poor witches.

That's all we have time for, Shadowman, but I want to thank you for taking the time to talk to us. It’s been a real pleasure, and I'm sure others will enjoy it.

It’s been emotional!

Although posted by Dave - Dave would like to thank Rob for doing tha majority of work in preparing this interview (not to mention the initial concept) - Cheers,

Real Name
    Pops

Re: In conversation with... Shadowman

It is good to learn more about you, John. Thank you for sharing with us.

Pops

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by PopsPhotos View Post
    It is good to learn more about you, John. Thank you for sharing with us.

Pops
    Thanks Pops, this "In Conversation with..." concept has helped me learn a little about myself as well.

rob marshall

Good one, John. Very interesting. Sorry I couldn't finish it off myself after I initially asked you. Dave has done a very good job on it though. Thanks for doing it.
    Last edited by rob marshall; 16th January 2011 at 02:40 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

I find it heartening to know few of us in this photography artistry, think much differently than anyone else...Though there are times when you might come across as somewhat ascerbic (not caustically, but a tad on the tart side , it is not really an acetic reaction as much as a strong want to preserve of the true artistry of the photograph as an art form. Your vision of the world is as shared as it is individual. Good work, good interview.

Another excellent interview. Good to know you better John.
    It’s been emotional!
    I know I fooled around a bit in mine but you are right this interview forces us to think about ourselves as a photographers.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Good on you, John. Thoughtful, insightful and informative.

And everyone else - keep watching this space. A lot more exciting interviews coming up every couple of weeks or so over the next weeks and months.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Good one, John. Very interesting. Sorry I couldn't finish it off myself after I initially asked you. Dave has done a very good job on it though. Thanks for doing it.
    Rob,

Thanks for starting the interview and it was my pleasure to participate.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I find it heartening to know few of us in this photography artistry, think much differently than anyone else...Though there are times when you might come across as somewhat ascerbic (not caustically, but a tad on the tart side , it is not really an acetic reaction as much as a strong want to preserve of the true artistry of the photograph as an art form. Your vision of the world is as shared as it is individual. Good work, good interview.
    Chris,

Thanks for the comments.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    Another excellent interview. Good to know you better John.

I know I fooled around a bit in mine but you are right this interview forces us to think about ourselves as a photographers.
    Thanks Steve.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Good on you, John. Thoughtful, insightful and informative.

And everyone else - keep watching this space. A lot more exciting interviews coming up every couple of weeks or so over the next weeks and months.
    Donald,

Thanks for the comments.

Real Name
    Rachel

Thanks for doing this. It's fascinating to read about your interests and what motivates you.

Real Name
    Peter

Good one John. I like the idea of a CiC cruise to Antartica - can we explore this concept futher Mods?????

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    Good one John. I like the idea of a CiC cruise to Antartica - can we explore this concept futher Mods?????
    Stop that boat in Florida, and I'm with you but on the condition we get to go to Patagonia as well.

Real Name
    Chris

Another Florida person..whoohoo. I'll go too.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy1973 View Post
    Stop that boat in Florida, and I'm with you but on the condition we get to go to Patagonia as well.
    Patagonia is definitely on the itinerary.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DippyRebel View Post
    Thanks for doing this. It's fascinating to read about your interests and what motivates you.
    Rachel,

Thanks for the comments. My latest interest, fueled by finding a slightly malfunctioning telescope by the side of the road, is astrophotography. However, I am trying to discourage myself from venturing to far in this arena as I already have too many distractions in my life.

Real Name
    Rachel

John, I'm having a bit of an urge myself to try some astrophotography... but like you have have far too many other distractions! Will be good to see some of the astro images you produce.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by DippyRebel View Post
    John, I'm having a bit of an urge myself to try some astrophotography... but like you have have far too many other distractions! Will be good to see some of the astro images you produce.
    Rachel,

I'll try to submit something if I take the plunge. In the meantime I am practicing photographing the moon and it will be full tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too cloudy.