Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Adirondack Vista

Real Name
    Debbie

Adirondack Vista

Adirondack Vista

Taken from Vermont looking across the pond (Lake Champlain) to the Adirondacks of NY. Would appreciate any and all C&C on any aspect; composition, exposure, post processing.
    This shot is readily available for me to reproduce, I drive by it everyday

D90, 55-200mm 4-5.6 G, taken at 200mm, f/8, 1/4000s, ISO 800, outdoor temp: 17°F (-8.3°C).

I mention the outdoor temperature because I believe numbness is to blame for my forgotting to turn down the ISO, it was not intentionally set to 800 and I think the shot is a bit noisy in the dark trees in the lower part of the image from it.

Shot in RAW, post-processing in ACR: no adjustment to the WB or exposure, increased the fill light gave some definition to the dark trees in the lower part of the photo. Upped the contrast (25), clarity (25), vibrance(25) and saturation (9). Two passes on unsharp mask in PS4 and I cloned over some dark clouds in the upper right hand corner of the sky.

Looking forward to going back and trying again with less ISO, also maybe a shorter focal length, I'm wondering if I'll have better results with the lens if I'm not right at the end.

It looks like a painting to me....is that to be expected with a photograph of this distance? And this image really made me realize the importance and opportunity available with post processing....I'm sure I could spend hours tweaking this image

Thanks Debbie

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Adirondack Vista

I like it. Nice use of foreground and background separation. A good composition, if I may comment.

Real Name
    Sahil Jain

So very brave of you to take a shot at that temperature... -8.3 is way tooooo cold... I think you need to adjust black clippings too, to get rid of some haze. IMO, the front two bands of trees in front aren't doing any good to the scene. If you move a li'l more towards left & take the shot, would you be able to get rid of the trees in front? That would be, just the water & mountains then. & may be you need a li'l better light . It all looks too flat as of now.
    & yea not to forget, bring down the ISO next time . The shot was taken at the fastest shutter speed possible for the camera.
    Possible for you to upload the RAW file somewhere? I would LOVE to try my hand on this pic's PP.

rob marshall

Hi Debbie

A very nice scene - lucky you seeing that every day. I think the composition is fine. There does seem to be some atmospheric haze in the air, which is making it look a little fuzzy. perhaps shoot it again at a different time of day? It could be a tad warmer - on my (calibrated) monitor it has a little too much blue to it overall.

Nice view though.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Hi Debbie

A very nice scene - lucky you seeing that every day. I think the composition is fine. There does seem to be some atmospheric haze in the air, which is making it look a little fuzzy. perhaps shoot it again at a different time of day? It could be a tad warmer - on my (calibrated) monitor it has a little too much blue to it overall.

Nice view though.
    It was hazy, but I really really really just wanted to take a picture. Between the weather and my schedule opportunities have been few. I also like to leave myself plenty of room for improvement . This spot is 5 min from where I work, easily reproducable, I figure I take a mediocre one now, get some advice, when the conditions are pristine, I'll have some of the kinks worked out and a better chance at getting something really nice.

I was hoping one of you with a calibrated monitor would take a peek, my monitor is awful...pretty sure that will be my next piece of photography equipment.
    Debbie

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I like it. Nice use of foreground and background separation. A good composition, if I may comment.
    Thanks - I appreciate the feedback.

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
    The shot was taken at the fastest shutter speed possible for the camera.
    Possible for you to upload the RAW file somewhere? I would LOVE to try my hand on this pic's PP.
    I noticed the fast shutter speed while I was shooting....and it just didn't click (hee hee) that something was amiss.

There are some local trees from where the picture is taken that limit the vantage point, but I'll keep your suggestions in mind when I go back.
    Thanks Debbie

rob marshall

Debbie

Many thanks for the link that I requested for the RAW file. I'm afraid I can't improve things very much, for the simple reason that I think a lot of the fuzziness in the shot must be due to the weather. Looking at the trees on the far side of the lake at over 100% in the RAW, they look quite fuzzy and indistinct. I used CS5 and tried the noise reduction, which helped a bit. But if it's due to something in the atmosphere then noise reduction won't really help. That's why it looks painterly, as you said - the detail in the trees looks as if they have been brush-stroked because of the inability of the lens to more-accurately resolve the detail.

Re-shooting, on a better day would definitely improve matters. As would shooting at ISO100. You had lots of scope at 1/4000s to reduce the ISO. And f/11 rather than f/8 might give slightly better results - it depends on the lens.. Carry a tripod in the car.

I really do like the scene though - very tranquil. I think I need to relocate to VT - what with Katy's scones and views like this, it has to be better than Wales - low hills and stale Welsh cakes.

yours
    Adirondack Vista

mine
    Adirondack Vista

Real Name
    Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Debbie

Many thanks for the link that I requested for the RAW file. I'm afraid I can't improve things very much, for the simple reason that I think a lot of the fuzziness in the shot must be due to the weather. Looking at the trees on the far side of the lake at over 100% in the RAW, they look quite fuzzy and indistinct. I used CS5 and tried the noise reduction, which helped a bit. But if it's due to something in the atmosphere then noise reduction won't really help. That's why it looks painterly, as you said - the detail in the trees looks as if they have been brush-stroked because of the inability of the lens to more-accurately resolve the detail.

Re-shooting, on a better day would definitely improve matters. As would shooting at ISO100. You had lots of scope at 1/4000s to reduce the ISO. And f/11 rather than f/8 might give slightly better results - it depends on the lens.. Carry a tripod in the car.

I really do like the scene though - very tranquil. I think I need to relocate to VT - what with Katy's scones and views like this, it has to be better than Wales - low hills and stale Welsh cakes.
    Its really nice to see you're interpretation of the scene and I will definitely go back on a clearer day, with less ISO and a tripod and see what I can get.

Don't forget maple syrup....VT has really really good maple syrup, in case you needed another reason for relocation.
    Debbie