Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II vs canon EF 50mm F/1.4

canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II vs canon EF 50mm F/1.4

Wanted to get some opinons the above lenses. I am wondering if is worth the extra $200+ to get the F/1.4? If so, what makes it so much better?

I enjoy different types of photography but mainly family/kids. Thanks!

Real Name
    Raylee

Re: canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II vs canon EF 50mm F/1.4

Hi

I have the f/1.4 and I'm really happy with it. The difference between the 2 lenses is in the construction. The f/1.4 is a quality lens of good construction and I thought that made it worth the extra money. The f/1.8 feels plasticky. It is very light and I didn't like the feel of it.

I tend to use my f/1.4 for low light conditions. I've used it around city streets at night and I've been happy with the results.

R

Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by brenny130 View Post
    ... I am wondering if is worth the extra $200+ to get the F/1.4? If so, what makes it so much better?
    USM (silent and faster autofocus)
    2/3 stop more on the max. aperture
    Better build quality
    Better manual focus features (distance scale, better MF ring, full-time manual focus)
    Better corner performance on a full-frame (but the 50/1.8 is actually slightly better than the 50/1.4 on a crop, if you go by dpreview's numbers).
    8 aperture blades instead of 5

If you want better usability, the 50/1.4 is probably worth it. But if you're just looking at image quality, and budget is a concern, the 50/1.8 II, particularly on a crop body, will probably do just as well.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by brenny130 View Post
    I enjoy different types of photography but mainly family/kids. Thanks!
    If you enjoy different types of photography, I'm wondering why you'd want to limit yourself to a lens of only a single focal length?

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Everything that Kathy wrote (inkista). . .plus

The 50/1.4 is heavier (noticeable), for me that means better balance.

The number of blades for me, is about the 8 being an even number – I often shoot at night in the street and even blades are better IMO for the starbursts.

The 1.4 has a 58mm filter thread – the 1.8MkII has a 52mm thread: used to be more important when Photographers had sets of multiple filters – to keep cost and weight down.

I do use the extra ⅔ stop – not often but sometimes – I use F/1.6 more than f/1.4.

The main points which sold me on the 1.4 were: the extra bit of aperture, the weight and balance, the FTM and the 8 blades. I can understand that not everyone wants that, but I figure keeping a lens for a while the extra money spins out to be not that much.

The 1.8MkII is good value. I am not convinced the 1.8Mkii's Auto Focus is slower, but I agree it is noisier.

WW

rob marshall

I have had the 1.8 for about four years. I was convinced it wouldn't last five minutes, but I've had no problems at all. Extremely sharp, light (yes, it is made mostly of plastic), and very good bokeh. The focal length of 50mm is pretty good on a crop factor camera for portraits.

Hi Brenny
    I've the 1.8II since last october and I like it for family portraits, even if I've never used (and so compared) the 1.4 on my 50D
    I can suggest you to have a look at this site:

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos

it is made with the usual German Quality !

Nicola

Real Name
    Elise

I loooove the 1.4. It's my walk-around lens. Rob undercut the argument I was going to make by saying his 1.8 has lasted four years -- the folklore is that the 1.8 will only last around a year or so. If you can afford the 1.4, get it -- it's a wonderful lens.

Thanks everyone for the advice!
    Colin, in regards to your question-I also have the canon 18-135mm lens that came w/ my 7D so the 50mm isn't going to my only lens.

Real Name
    Brian

I have had the 1.8II for a few months now and love the wide aperture it gives me. It has become my go to lens for portraits and even my son's hockey games. The extra aperture really helps in low light and gives you some nice bokeh in most situations. That said, on Christmas morning I dropped it on the tile floor - it was in it's box - And the front lens group fell off! Bummer! This only an hour after my daughter dropped her new iPod - another story I suppose. In the end i just needed to shove it back on and it still works great. For the money it's a great lens and I'm glad I bought it. I suppose a 1.4 may have broken just the same had I dropped one of those.