Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Is this pointless?

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Is this pointless?

Hi, I took that shot of my puppy running in snow when a little mouse pass by him running full speed...I noticed that little creature only when viewing on computer screen...Can I do something to improve quality ? ( I find it funny to watch and would like to keep it). I tried to sharpen, noise,etc..but still not nice, Is it pointless ?

Is this pointless?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Is this pointless?

Hi Marie-Josee,

It's never gonna be great, but I reckon, from fullsize RAW (assuming that's not already a significant crop) I could do something with it.

It would take multiple passes of USM with varying Amounts and Radii, and keep an eye on threshold.

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

hummmmm !! You are talking to a girl that's still reading: photo for dummy ! What's USM ? and RADii ? I'll try more stuff...thanks for looking at it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Marie-Josee,

It's never gonna be great, but I reckon, from fullsize RAW (assuming that's not already a significant crop) I could do something with it.

It would take multiple passes of USM with varying Amounts and Radii, and keep an eye on threshold.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I would keep it even if it isn't the best photo ever. The whole point of it is that it is a funny and memorable photo of your pup that you will still enjoy a long time to come.

Pssstt!! Notice he said "I", being "he", could do something with it.

Is this any better? It is oversharpened, but that was the only way to bring out the details in the dog's face. I also did not apply any noise reduction, because that would further reduce the amount of details in the photo.

Is this pointless?
    Last edited by Blazing fire; 14th January 2011 at 07:52 AM.

Nice treatment Blazing Fire.

I agree that the sharpening is, to my eye, right on the border of 'over-cooking' it. But it does also impart a lovely crisp feel to the snow.

Great shot, and well worth being a keeper.

Real Name
    neil

You are never going to recover a lot of anything extra from this but you caught a great moment and you should be very happy with that! Don't enter a photo competition with it but I am sure your family and friends will love it. Tell them your dog was running flat out when you caught this... neil

Is this pointless?
    Last edited by tihsgod; 14th January 2011 at 12:40 PM.

I've had a little play with your photo, Marie Josee.

Is this pointless?

Very basically, I selected the dog and the mouse using the freehand lasso tool then feathered the selection; and applied a little bit of sharpening (Unsharp Mask Tool).

Because of the selection, the sharpening was only applied to the selected area (dog and mouse) not the background; so they appear sharper than the background.

Then just a little tidying up with a Blur Tool and a slight adjustment of the contrast using Curves.

I often use this method for enhancing my insect photos. The correct method of selective sharpening involves the use of layers and semi transparent masks, but this simpler workaround usually produces a suitable result.

ps. it would work well if combined with Neil's suggestion for blurring the background.

Quote Originally Posted by ToadSlayer View Post
    Nice treatment Blazing Fire.

I agree that the sharpening is, to my eye, right on the border of 'over-cooking' it. But it does also impart a lovely crisp feel to the snow.

Great shot, and well worth being a keeper.
    Thank you.

PS: I did not use unsharp mask. Since there clearly was motion blur in the original photo, I used smart sharpen instead.

I like tihsgod's version too.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tihsgod View Post
    You are never going to recover a lot of anything extra from this but you caught a great moment and you should be very happy with that! Don't enter a photo competition with it but I am sure your family and friends will love it. Tell them your dog was running flat out when you caught this... neil

Is this pointless?
    Great idea! Good use of postprocessing

Real Name
    Marie-Josee

Hey, thank you all !! I was happily surprise with all the photos !! If you don`t mind, I`ll keep a few versions...if it`s OK with you...they are so cool !!! thans a lot !!!

Real Name
    Chris

Nothing in which something is learned, is ever pointless.

Real Name
    neil

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Nothing in which something is learned, is ever pointless.
    I can hear my headmaster saying that to me sixty five years ago
    Just a few weeks before he threw me out

Real Name
    Chris

My headmaster's - well, head mistresses as they were all nuns, found other ways to get one's attention - rulers and knuckles....and despite the pain, we did learn. Maybe that was the point afterall.