Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: NIK software

Real Name
    Elise

NIK software

I've never used NIK software, but I notice that many people here do. I've just discovered that they have academic pricing, and since I am at the moment "double academic" (faculty and community college student taking a Photoshop class), I can get the complete set for an extremely reasonable price.

My question is, since I use Lightroom, is it okay for me to get the version that's a plug-in for Lightroom, or should I go with the more expensive set that is a plug-in for both Lightroom and Photoshop? The "Ultimate" collection is twice as expensive.

Thanks for any advice you can offer . . .

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: NIK software

Quote Originally Posted by mythlady View Post
    I've never used NIK software, but I notice that many people here do. I've just discovered that they have academic pricing, and since I am at the moment "double academic" (faculty and community college student taking a Photoshop class), I can get the complete set for an extremely reasonable price.

My question is, since I use Lightroom, is it okay for me to get the version that's a plug-in for Lightroom, or should I go with the more expensive set that is a plug-in for both Lightroom and Photoshop? The "Ultimate" collection is twice as expensive.

Thanks for any advice you can offer . . .
    I'm no expert Elise, but in my honest opinion you'd be better off taking the one compatible for both LR and PS since you use both. I don't use Lightroom but I am a heavy user of photoshop since photoshop version 7. Among all NikSoftwares' plugin I've tested and have, the best one that I would recommend investing in would be Silver Efex Pro, Color Efex Pro and Viveza. Hope this helps. If you can get a pretty darn good deal for all the plugins then get it all. The only problem with it IMO is that you're going to consume too much time learning it all than developing your real photographic style using a few. Good luck!

Real Name
    Chris

Actually, Elise, you can make the choice when you load the program. The dialogue box asks you which program you want to load it in for launch purposes.... I think I paid $98 for it, but can look when I get home from the heathens.

I chose Photoshop because I can do a Silver job, open it in PS, then apply some layer adjustments and do some selective burning and dodging, flatten the layers then reopen in Silver and in some cases, go back and add a different preset or add some grain, etc. You ca continue this process until you are just bonkers in love with the finished product. I tend to save a lot of PSD files as special objects so I can go back to what was best if I go too far the other way....and in the learning stages, you will do that a lot.

The man to ask is Rob as I think he must have invented this process and that's why he could retire at such an early age...

rob marshall

Hi Elise

I just have Silver Efex Pro (for BW conversions) I know it seem expensive, but it is very good. I'd go for the version that uses Photoshop as well, unless you are able to upgrade it at a later date at the same cost - I'm not sure about that. If you do get it, it's worth watching the lesson tutorials they have from their main page. It explains how to use the U-point feature for selective tone control, amongst other things. Go on, treat yourself, you won't regret it. http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/usa/entry.php

Youngstown, Ohio hoping to move to Tuscan
    Real Name
    Gary L. Wunderlin

Hi Elise

I have just purchased all that Nik has to offer for Lightroom (Defin2, Vivaza, Sharpner3, Silver Efex Pro, Color Efex Pro, and HDR Pro). They had a special deal for the holidays and I couldn't resist from buying the whole collection. I already owned Silver Efex and HDR, the full versions before I purchased the cheaper edition. As I understand it, you can always upgrade if you want to in the furture. I choose Lightroom because it is the software I use. I also have Elements 8 and the Silver Efex Pro I own will work within it, but not the others without an upgrade. I don't use Photoshop and only use Elements periodically. For me, I didn't see the need to buy the more expensive collection. I have found the Nik programs very easy to use. The interfaces to each of the programs are similar. The U-point technology is the same for every program and you can go back and forth between programs with very little difficulty. My suggestion is that you call Nik Software and talk to the main man, Shane. He is a little hard to get a hold of but he will return your call. He was very helpful to me and I'm sure he could help you decide. (He is very easy to talk to will even help you load your programs on to your computer.)

Good Luck,
    Gary

PS- I forgot to mention Nik offers tutorials, both on line and real time semminars. Very helpful.
    Last edited by garylee; 14th January 2011 at 01:17 AM.