Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: S.a.d.

Real Name
    Wendy

S.a.d. OR WWTMTOMH

Know here in Canada as Seasonal Affective Disorder OR Way Way Too Much Time On My Hands - I think I have a bad case.
    Edit II: Note: I'm not making light of Seasonal Affective Disorder, it is a serious condition. WWTMTOMH is an alternative title, not meant to be synonymous

S.A.D. #1
    S.a.d.

S.A.D. #2
    S.a.d.

Wendy
    Last edited by ScoutR; 13th January 2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Change title

Re: S.a.d.

Ha ha, Wendy. Even in bad weather, you are a star at creativity.

Real Name
    Steve

I think in the first you could tilt right a bit, the hills in the distance about right. It is a lovely picture showing great skill. The second, I don't know what to make of the second.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I think in the first you could tilt right a bit, the hills in the distance about right. It is a lovely picture showing great skill. The second, I don't know what to make of the second.
    Why thank you Arith, I thought you might appreciate these. The horizon is fine on the first one, but I'm wondering how you think it would fare with a Topaz treatment or Orton effect. I know you have spent a great deal of time mastering these techniques. Do you think either would work here?

Wendy

Real Name
    Steve

I think it is a case of suck it and see; I don't know but I usually try and it doesn't hurt.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    I think it is a case of suck it and see; I don't know but I usually try and it doesn't hurt.
    Not sure I understand what you mean Arith, would you mind explaining. I'm not up on all the high tech terminology

Wendy

Real Name
    Kay

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Not sure I understand what you mean Arith, would you mind explaining. I'm not up on all the high tech terminology

Wendy
    aah yes I recognise this term....it is in the family of the KISS principle and the medical fraternity's all time favourite...
    "see one, do one, teach one"

Real Name
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    aah yes I recognise this term....it is in the family of the KISS principle and the medical fraternity's all time favourite...
    "see one, do one, teach one"
    Have any of you seen a play called "Art" by any chance?

I really like the second one actually. Just enough info to be mysterious. And I hear ya on the S.A.D.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I think you all have WWTMTOYH.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Kit, I do believe you are right - I should change the title of the post.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Nah! Still can't work it out. It's probably my sheltered upbringing!

Real Name
    Wendy

There you Donald, I changed the title to what I think it is

Wendy, it will not surprise you in the least when I tell you I like both of these. When you decide to go minimal it really does get you in a way that you need to push things to the absolute minimum an still provide an image that has impact. You have done that with both of these. I must say I prefer No1 but I am very interested in how you produced No2.

Real Name
    Wendy

Thank you Steve, I'm getting a bit worried that I will soon be taking pictures of clear blue skies and solid black walls.

I'm glad you like #1 I do too, but there really isn't much there is there? I cannot explain why I like such things, but this one in particular I find kind of relaxing. I wish I could say I had that in mind when I took it. In reality, I was just wandering around scouting for sites where I might get some good windblown snowdrift shots weather permitting.
    Would you mind saying why you like number 1 - Seriously though, no waffling

The subject in #2 was a lone leaf that had fallen into a deep footprint in some not so pristine snow. The way it landed it looked like it was suspended in mid air which was what I tried unsuccessfully to capture with an ordinary shot.

I thought maybe if i stopped down I could pan vertically and create the illusion of falling which is what I did. I had to try a number of times to get just enough but not too much blur, It works best if you start panning before pressing the shutter, and start way below (or above) the subject so that you are at the subject when the shutter is pressed but follow through on the panning. This one was taken at 1/5s: f36: ISO 100. After that a lot of playing around with the colours in PP mainly because I forgot the +EC and the snow was underexposed. I Also added grain in PP - the snow was not pristine and there were streaks from the panning the dirt specs that were OK but not quite what I wanted.
    That's about it.

Wendy

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Thank you Steve, I'm getting a bit worried that I will soon be taking pictures of clear blue skies and solid black walls.

I'm glad you like #1 I do too,

#much snippage#

That's about it.

Wendy
    Well, who would've thunk it? I looked and looked at that Wendy, but definitely didn't even come near getting the cookie. Great idea, that I will store along with my nuts for winter in the deep South (if we ever get there)!