Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Selling Lenses

Selling Lenses

Looking to find upgrade for the general 18-55 kit lens...what can you honestly sell one of these things for? I think retail for the lens is only like $100. Where would you be able to get the best re-sale value?

Real Name
    Pops

Re: Selling Lenses

Where are you located?

It helps us on this forum if you put your name in your profile.

Pops

I'm in Palm Coast, Florida. My name's Tom Gibbs, as my user name implies

Real Name
    Pops

Thanks, Tom.

http://www.adorama.com

I've not sold anything to them, but the reports I'm getting from some who have are good.

Then, of course, there is always eBay.

I'll be looking for an 18-55 AF-s for nikon, soon.

Pops

.what can you honestly sell one of these things for

Fifty quid (approx $75) in good nick
    but I suspect if you are selling on e-bay or the like $50 may be nearer the mark

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post

Fifty quid (approx $75) in good nick
    but I suspect if you are selling on e-bay or the like $50 may be nearer the mark
    and if you get unlucky, as I did selling a lens once, it can go for 99p
    (+ P&P thank heavens, so I didn't lose, but I spent more than 99p in prepping and time)

Real Name
    Martyn

tbh i used to find that lenses fetched more on ebay than if you traded them in at camera shops, as dave mentioned you may get unlucky in a few instances,
    i wanted an old 2.8 35-70mm nikon, they were fetching 290 UK pouinds on ebay, my local camera shop had one in at £200.
    the only thing i would mention is that you can get a lot of trouble selling on ebay, the customer is always right etc and some will swear blind they havent received it (even with a sig), at least if you sell it to a shop you have no comeback once you walk away with the money,
    another point would be to sell it on a forum, i have done that in the past, if your a regular and put good pictures up of the goods then people tend to trust you, cheers martyn

Real Name
    Richard

A search of completed 18-55mm lens sales on USA eBay provided the following information...

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Lense...&_udhi=&_udlo=

Note: you need to sign into an eBay account to view this listing of completed sales...

Real Name
    John

Of all my lenses, I wouldn't sell the Nikkor 18-55mm for less than it's retail value. I just think it's a good lens and you only lose appreciation for it from lack of use. I hope this testimony doesn't hurt your chance to get a good deal Pops.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Of all my lenses, I wouldn't sell the Nikkor 18-55mm for less than it's retail value. I just think it's a good lens and you only lose appreciation for it from lack of use. I hope this testimony doesn't hurt your chance to get a good deal Pops.
    You can buy a brand new 18-55 Nikkor from B&H for $105. For that price it isn't worth getting a eBay burn. One burn is enough, and I've had the only one I'll ever get. If you can't see it, hold it in your hand and get a good eyeball look of it, especially with a loupe on the rear element, don't buy it.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

You might want to inquire about a possible trade. Might require $ on your end but would get you the end result which is the lens you want.