Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tips for shooting waterfalls? (trip to Canonteign Falls)

Real Name
    Paul

Tips for shooting waterfalls? (trip to Canonteign Falls)

I am off to Devon today for 2 weeks of rehab and i plan to visit Canonteign Falls, anyone have any good tips for shooting waterfalls or better still, anyone been there before ?

Thanks,

Paul

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Waterfalls

Don't know those falls, but:

1. If they're big, make sure you include a person/tree etc so that you convey the sense of scale
    2. Sometimes getting in close and getting detail makes a better picture than the wide vista that tries to get it all in.

Real Name
    Peter

Hi Paul

To get a really silky water flow you need around 2 - 4 seconds. Personally I Iike a more realistic impression of the moving water and use 8th or 15th of a second. You will need a couple of ND filters and if still not enough I often use my polariser as an ND filter to try and get the times I need. You will definitely need a tripod.

I also love waterfalls so please post some images when you get back.

rob marshall

A neutral density filter is a good idea as it extends the exposure time. Failing that you can just set the camera to at least f/16 ISO100. A polarizer on the lens will take it down a couple of stops, and also cut out any glare from water reflections. I did this one with a grad filter. It's in the Brecon Beacons.
    Tips for shooting waterfalls? (trip to Canonteign Falls)