Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canberra through a long lens

Real Name
    Raylee

Canberra through a long lens

Here is a shot I took at lunch time yesterday with my 100-400mm L series lens.

Version 1 has had a texture applied to it. I had an idea in my head of the look I wanted and eventually got there with a free texture downloaded from Kim Klassen.

Version 2 is the untouched version, only slightly tweaked in ACR.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

R

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Canberra through a long lens

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Let me know what you think.
    I think this is an excellent example of discussions we've been having lately about a photograph (#2) being turned into a picture (#1)

For my personal taste, the texture is a bit too much on the sky. I think there's a sky there that you could have done a lot with without the texture. But, whichever way you cut it, your processing of the photograph has produced a very, very good picture. I love what you've got out of the trees - you can 'feel' the density of the woodland and 'hear' the rustle of leaves in the breeze.

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks Donald. I do like the sky in the original.

I find it very hard to be objective about my local scenery so I feel a need to turn it to something a bit out of the ordinary. But I do like to hear how other people interpret these scenes.

R

Real Name
    John

Was this scene near your place of employment or did you have to travel to it to capture this image? Nice image, by the lack of shadows it appears you didn't have to with the midday sun.

This is a beautiful image, to my eyes, for sure. The building is beautiful and, especially, the way the wings of the bird play off of the shape of the building. I like how there's this modern building surrounded by nature - sky, trees and water - and no sign of "city", really. It's like Rapunzel's tower or some such lovely silliness.

I like the texture a lot but I think that it's a little too heavy. Actually, I don't think that I've ever seen a Kim Klassen texture that I didn't react to, in that way. I've seen other bloggers obscure their vision with her textures. Sometimes, they're kind of like looking through an extremely grimy window and texture is what I'm most aware of, instead of the texture contributing to the photograph, like it should. Is there a way to slightly lighten it? Or, do you not agree? You know that I'm totally cool, if you don't. And, there's, also, a strong possibility that I could be completely wrong!

I'm excited for you and the your new lens. Good luck with your learning curve. I hope that it becomes like an old, comfy friend in no time!

Raylee

I love everything about that first image..yes texturing too. You have officially become a legend in your own lunchtime. I wish I could get images like that in my lunchtime The only slight (and it is slight) niggle for me is that it could probably stand a touch more contrast

Thanks also for the link to the Kim Klassen pages. Some interesting stuff in there

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

It looks nostalgic for me. Your pp gives me that impression.

Real Name
    Kay

I really like it with the texture effect Raylee - yes we can see that an effect has been applied, but I think that is a good thing as for me it really enhances the image.

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks everyone!

This photo was taken during my lunch break (the sun was directly overhead and very high at this time of year, a bit overcast). I work in 'the Parliamentary Triangle' which includes Canberra's major tourist attractions. So I'm a bit blase about these sites. That's why I transformed this one into a vintage look.

The building is The Carillion and it's on a little island in Lake Burley Griffin. A lot of weddings are held there. The bird in the background is a statue given to Australia by the Americans - it's an eagle and it is located at the Defence offices at Russell.

Thanks again

R
    Last edited by Camellia; 8th January 2011 at 11:25 PM.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Raylee, I really like the timeless quality that adding the texture has given this picture. Very, very nice in my eyes and not ott at all. And thanks for sharing the link - I hadn't come across her before.

Real Name
    Wendy

Love it Raylee. Great shot to start with but I think the texture makes it a real winner. I agree though the texture is a little heavy in the sky, but otherwise, I just love it. I think the original in untextured monochrome would look good too.

Wendy

Real Name
    Raylee

Thanks Wendy and Kit.

R

Real Name
    Jeroen

Quote Originally Posted by Camellia View Post
    Thanks Donald. I do like the sky in the original.

I find it very hard to be objective about my local scenery so I feel a need to turn it to something a bit out of the ordinary.
    It's that approach that opens up the potential to outstanding ideas (turned into photographs).
    Watch what happens when you unleash a bus-load of tourists in a city. About a thousand pictures of the same thing in the same way: nothing interesting at all.

If you get some results you're satisfied about, could you share some photographs with one of these sites you mention as a compare? That would be rather interesting I think.