Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Worlds Best Photography Magazine - For Free :)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Worlds Best Photography Magazine - For Free :)

I posted this as part of a long post yesterday, so I'm guessing that most won't have seen it. In my opinion these really are the PERFECT photography magazine - and best of all, they're free!

http://www.pbase.com/magazine

(Issue #6 is particularly revealing (Sorry Sean!)

Cheers,

Colin - pbase/cjsouthern

Re: Worlds Best Photography Magazine - For Free :)

thank you, started downloading them before. Never heard of it myself (sorry for ignorance) but it looks great, look forward to reading.

Real Name
    Ian

Looks interesting.

Real Name

I hope that in my enthusiasm I didn't "over sell" it (don't think so!) - I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

Just found these magazines.....now I need to improve my net connection so I can download them! This is so great! Thanks for the links...something "interesting" to read amongst text books and study stuff!

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Cheers Colin,

I did read issue #6, when you put the link in the other post. This will make a nice change to the Nikonian ;-)

Real Name

You're welcome

I'd all but given up on photographic magazines - they all seem to be 1/2 ads and 1/2 regurgitated material. Haven't tried more upbeat mags though (like I assume that the Nikonian would be) )Can't say I've seen any in this part of the world).

Perhaps it's a sign of old age (in fact I'm sure it is), but these days I'd much rather read articles that give me an insite into "the person" - their techniques and their philosophy than I would "how to" type articles.

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

Colin, you made me discover this magazine in one of the other topics (can't remember which one) and I find it quite useful!
    Instead of books' major general technical stuff, here we get to learn more about photography from different perspective and way of doing. Furthermore it's interesting to see how many people got themselves into this hobby/passion/profession

Just downloaded the issues (and subscribed); they will be some free time readings,
    now it just needs a "download all" button

I downloaded all to date but not read all yet, slowly working my way through. I do like the personal focus side which adds more depth and interest. How to's are fine but when it's page after page with no personal flavour or personality and philosophy showing through it's bland and might have well been written by 1 person (with no real personality). Also the photographers perspective and "why that shot" sometimes add to the image or story behind are even more interesting than the shot itself.

Real Name

"Also the photographers perspective and "why that shot" sometimes add to the image or story behind are even more interesting than the shot itself. "

You just reminded me of something with that ...

Recently I purchased "The Moment it Clicks" by Joe McNally (interviewed in one of the pbase magazine issues).

http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Clicks-...2235655&sr=8-1

Of all the photography books I've ever bought this one was by faaaaaaaaaar the most inspirational and motivational - HIGHLY recommended. It's a stunning array of photographs of many famous people (Winona Ryder, Michelle Pfeifer, James Brown, Football stars, Fiona Apple and many more) (along with other scenes) - all with entertaining little stories pertaining to the shoot, along with notes on what was required from a lighting perspective. Pure distilled gold.