Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Anyone have opinion on this ND Grad Filter?

Anyone have opinion on this ND Grad Filter?

Looking into making a purchase, not sure what the community thinks of this choice....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_3_x_4_7.html

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Anyone have opinion on this ND Grad Filter?

I've heard of Singh Ray (which I can't afford) and I've heard of Cokin (which I use), but I've never heard of a Singh Ray Cokin.

I'm assuming that they're meaning that Singh Ray has produced a filter at Cokin P size that can be used in a Cokin P Filter Holder.

If that is true, then you're talking about a Singh Ray filter. And that equals Very, Very Good.

But, what are you putting it on? If it's a Cokin P size then you'll hit vignetting problems if you try and mount it onto a wide angle lenses below about 17/18mm (on a 1.6 crop factor). I get away with my Cokin P at the wide end of my 17-85 mounted on a Canon 40D -just.
    Last edited by Donald; 6th January 2011 at 02:48 PM.

thanks for the info. so what is the alternative size to the P series that does not produce the vignette

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

With Cokin, you would be looking at the 'Z' series. Singh Ray (and Lee is another well-known manufacturer) make these larger sized filters. I'm quite sure the website you referenced above will stock the full ranges of each of these manufacturers and carry details of various sizes.

Singh Ray is the top end in terms of quality. This, of course, is reflected in the price.

As well as the filter, you need to make sure you buy the corresponding filter holder on which to mount the filters, although there are some advocates on hand-holding these square filters..