Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Envy

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Envy

Envy

Thank you very much for viewing.

Nikon D70, 50mm f1.8D lens, Exposure at f2.8 at 1/10 of a second, Camera set in manual mode, 1 Pc. 60 Watts incandescent table lamp used and covered by a light white handkerchief to soften the shadows. Conversion from RAW to JPEG, White balance correction, and shadow/highlight adjustments done in ACDSEE Pro 3. Final adjustments done in photoshop.

Real Name
    Peter

Re: Envy

I am concerned Rob's influence is subbing off. You are not from Wales are you?

I like the high key effect. Well done.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Ryan View Post
    I am concerned Rob's influence is subbing off. You are not from Wales are you?

I like the high key effect. Well done.
    Not at this image, Sir. And No, I am not Welsh. Actually, this image is an assignment wherein we are required to shoot an egg on a white background. This is also my first time to use a light source aside from the sun. I used an ordinary incandescent bulb rated at 60 Watts. The original RAW image was very yellowish. After white balance correction, everything went to its proper place.

Thank you very much for the nice comment, Peter.
    Last edited by jiro; 6th January 2011 at 01:35 AM.

Real Name
    Chris

Actually, this image is an assignment wherein we are required to shoot an egg on a white background.

This is the first assignment I give my students after the instruction on lighting...but not just an egg...one white on white and one black on black. To make it more complete and challenging, I make them match color object to color background...it levels the playing field.

When I was teaching drawing and painting, I had my students do the same exercise with the egg and the lights. If you go back to Jiro's three eggs and look at them (don't stare) for two or three minutes, you'll begin to see tonal differences you would normally miss. It is good training to see the subtle differences in all ranges of tonality.

Especially..Look at the reflective values on the bottom edges and inside the shadows. You lit this very-very well. You shot it very-very well.

Real Name

Thank you very much for the compliment, Chris. You gave me another idea... shoot something black on black next time. I wonder if my simple table lamp can perform on this next challenge.

Real Name
    Chris

I have my students use a Smith Victor reflector lamp with either a 200, 250 or 500 wt bulb. With your photographic skill, I am quite sure your table lamp will do just fine.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

If you go back to Jiro's three eggs and look at them (don't stare) for two or three minutes, you'll begin to see tonal differences you would normally miss. It is good training to see the subtle differences in all ranges of tonality.
    Thanks for this reminder, Chris. Too often, I fly past an image and only have a fleeting look. I decide on the spot "don't like", "do like", but slowing down and really looking is such an important part of revealing what is really in an image.