Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A Set from My Last walk of 2010

Real Name
    Wendy

A Set from My Last walk of 2010

We had a frosty foggy Dec 30 and I am so glad that I went for a walk to get some snow shots. The temperature shot up to above zero and we have had rain for the last 2 days. The snow is gone and has been replaced with mud and dirt.

C&C is welcome and appreciated. I've been trying some new things in PP and am always happy for feedback (good or bad). Sorry about the different frames, I should have kept them the same, but I was too lazy to go back and redo them

All are taken with the Nikon D3000 unless otherwise noted, in which case it will be the Panasonic G1

Fog n Frost #1
    1/400s: f11: ISO 400: 170mm

Fog n Frost #2
    Nikon D3000: 18-200mm: 1/2000s: f5.6: ISO 400: 200mm

Fog n Frost #3
    1/1250s: f5.6:ISO 400: 200mm

Fog n Frost #4
    Nikon D3000: 18-200mm: 1/320s: f11: ISO 400: 120mm

Fog n Frost #5
    1/50s: f16: ISO 200: 20mm
    Lumix G1: 20mm f1.7 lens

Fog n Frost #6
    1/640s: f5.6: ISO 400: 200mm

Fog n Frost #7
    1/40s: f16: ISO 200: 20mm
    G1: 20mm 1.7 lens

Happy New Year
    Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: A Set from My Last walk of 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    I am so glad that I went for a walk to get some snow shots.
    I'm glad that you went as well.

Fog n Frost #3
    I can't work this one out. It's as if someone's gone wild with the smudge tool. I'm not suggesting you have, just that this is how is made me feel.

Fog n Frost #5
    I can smell the fresh air in this. It's vibrant, fresh, 'alive'. I think it's a wonderfully finished/processed image.

Fog n Frost #2
    And I love the muted tones in this. It feels peaceful and calm. There may have been mayhem going on just outside the frame, but this oozes peace and serenity. I think you've managed the tones across the image wonderfully well. The only thing I might be tempted to do would be to dabble a bit with the clone tool on those few stubbles of grass (I think) peeking through the snow in the foreground.

Just commenting on these doesn't mean I don't consider the others worthy of note. But these were the ones that I wanted to make specific comment about.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Yet another very nice series, I can see you haven't left your photography skills in the old house Wendy

I find it hard to name a favourite as I like them all for different reasons, if pushed #4, no, maybe #3, no #1, or #5 - you see the problem?

For snow shots I like the white borders.

Good work,

Real Name
    Kay

I agree with Dave - they are all great for different reasons But I do have a favourite and it is #1.
    Terrific series Wendy!

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm glad that you went as well.

I can't work this one out. It's as if someone's gone wild with the smudge tool. I'm not suggesting you have, just that this is how is made me feel.
    Thanks Donald, I was thinking the same thing about this one. I liked the original but then I tried a Topaz Details preset and kind of liked what it did to the fog, but it does have a smudgy look to it. I'll go back to the drawing board on this one and see if I can unsmudge a bit.

I can smell the fresh air in this. It's vibrant, fresh, 'alive'. I think it's a wonderfully finished/processed image.
    This is my favourite too. Another one I would like to get printed. I got some cash for Christmas so one of these days I have to see how these fare on paper.

Thanks for the Feedback.
    Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Yet another very nice series, I can see you haven't left your photography skills in the old house Wendy

I find it hard to name a favourite as I like them all for different reasons, if pushed #4, no, maybe #3, no #1, or #5 - you see the problem?

For snow shots I like the white borders.

Good work,
    Thanks Dave, glad you like them. When I saw your name Halo's immediately came to mind Are you just being kind, or did I actually manage to avoid them?

I'm kind of partial to the white borders with the snow too. It seems to extend the shot somehow.

Thanks for the feedback
    Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    I agree with Dave - they are all great for different reasons But I do have a favourite and it is #1.
    Terrific series Wendy!
    Thank you for the kind words Kay. I appreciate the feedback.

Wendy

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Halo Wendy,

When I saw your name Halo's immediately came to mind
    Awww, and I thought you thought of halos because I am sooooo good

Are you just being kind, or did I actually manage to avoid them?
    If I really squint and pixel peep, there might be a hint on #4 (causing a gap between wire and ice crystals), but it didn't spoil the image by being noticeable at normal viewing distance.

... and there certainly aren't any of the wide soft ones seen previously.

So you can stop be paranoid about them now
    My name is Dave Humphries, not Dave Halo, so please break that association

Cheers,

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Halo Wendy,

Awww, and I thought you thought of halos because I am sooooo good
    Well that too, but I count on you for halo identification. I think I catch the obvious ones now, but you can never be too careful.

So you can stop be paranoid about them now
    My name is Dave Humphries, not Dave Halo, so please break that association

Cheers,
    Sorry Dave Humphries, I was not trying to insult you I will break the association, but please don't quit telling me if I miss these things. not the ones where you have to tilt your screen and pixel peep, but if I miss a bad one let me know.

Wendy

Just beautiful and inspiring, Wendy! Really!!!

We had some snow - it was a blizzard. The same with the next day. Then, it was mostly gone - just blown away. Now, we have the same weather as you - mud! You've got me all excited to go and start learning how to do this. Need snow!

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Wendy, these work beautifully for me, partly because we have been having some hot days and the snow is cooling to look at and partly because they are simply such beautiful images.
    Especially #1.

This just works so well for me - the subject, the composition, the seamless transition from white to broken old fence and grasses to white again. Very much something I'd hang.

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Just beautiful and inspiring, Wendy! Really!!!

We had some snow - it was a blizzard. The same with the next day. Then, it was mostly gone - just blown away. Now, we have the same weather as you - mud! You've got me all excited to go and start learning how to do this. Need snow!
    Thank you Katy, don't worry the snow will be back. Up here there is a cold wind blowing in from the West tonight, for us that usually means snow.

Wendy

Real Name
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post
    Wendy, these work beautifully for me, partly because we have been having some hot days and the snow is cooling to look at and partly because they are simply such beautiful images.
    Especially #1.

This just works so well for me - the subject, the composition, the seamless transition from white to broken old fence and grasses to white again. Very much something I'd hang.
    Thanks so much Kit, I'm glad they are helping to cool you off. I like all the flowers and beaches that I've been seeing here from your neck of the woods. It warms me up. It's great having people here from all over the world.
    It seems I don't see you here so much anymore. I hope all is well. I always enjoyed your work and would like to see more

Wendy

Real Name
    Brian

I really like #4 and #7. I like the detail in some foreground bits and then the depth of the rest of the photos. Both they also show something unusual - the ice crystals in #4 and the extra contrast the snow gives #7 makes them truely interesting photos.

Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Wendy

Brian thank you for taking the time to comment. I was not sure about #7 but like you I think it was the contrast of the trees and the snow that made me want to convert to B&W and work on it more.
    for *4 I tried so many shots to show the frost along this fence, but this was the only one I really liked. Composition is a real problem for me on these close shots, but I keep trying and I do appreciate the feedback that I get here to help me improve, so thanks again.

Wendy