Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Canon 550D

Real Name
    Ben

New Canon 550D

Hi,

I have recently bought a Canon 550D - which I'm really happy about . I took it out for a spin in Antwerp today/yesterday and here are 2 that I would like some feedback on:

Cathedral
    New Canon 550D

Statue
    New Canon 550D

Any ideas how these could be improved? (Like the with the statue, i'm not sure if cropping/angling camera higher would be better...)

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: New Canon 550D

Quote Originally Posted by Benbro88 View Post
    Hi,

I have recently bought a Canon 550D - which I'm really happy about . I took it out for a spin in Antwerp today/yesterday and here are 2 that I would like some feedback on:

Statue
    New Canon 550D

Any ideas how these could be improved? (Like the with the statue, i'm not sure if cropping/angling camera higher would be better...)
    Hello Ben, Happy New Year to you.

I think the cathedral image is just fine as is. If I may suggest, you could probably tweak the highlight and shadow detail a little bit and some contrast adjustment to bring some "punch" to it.

As for the statue, I think it's a definite yes that you have to get rid of all those wires. A good cropping will add more strength to your image by putting the statue to the exact 1/3 power point to the right. Then, for the last edit, you can play around the color saturation, contrast, and probably you can add a quarter moon for some drama. I played with your image a while ago and here is what I came up with. As usual, your image is set on a private mode on my flickr account so only CiC members can view it. Full copyright under your name is explicitly written with the image. Thanks.

New Canon 550D
    image929En by jiro bau, on Flickr

Real Name
    Yegor

The familiar moon))) without a wall))))

Real Name
    Ben

I see what you mean about the 1/3 power point, and I do like the addition of the moon. I'm not sure I'd like to get rid of the wires--I was trying to use them to frame the statue in the pentagram, although maybe some of them should be removed (like the one coming in from the right that cuts the pentagram in two..) does that makes sense?

Here's another angle of the statue, where I was also using the wires to frame it:

New Canon 550D

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Skitalez View Post
    The familiar moon))) without a wall))))
    Yup!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Benbro88 View Post
    I see what you mean about the 1/3 power point, and I do like the addition of the moon. I'm not sure I'd like to get rid of the wires--I was trying to use them to frame the statue in the pentagram, although maybe some of them should be removed (like the one coming in from the right that cuts the pentagram in two..) does that makes sense?

Here's another angle of the statue, where I was also using the wires to frame it:

New Canon 550D
    That is also a very good interpretation of your image. A very interesting perspective, indeed.