Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Say hello to Chanella

First portrait of 2011!

Say hello to Chanella

Re: Say hello to Chanella

Hello Chanella!

Colin

To me it looks as if she is resting her head on her right hand, which woud be a normal relaxed pose to strike. But that other hand/arm on the right of the shot looks like a make-up person is just tidying her hair. It looks sort of disconnected. Probably just my weird way of seeing things.

Real Name

Hi Rob,

No resting for the wicked, and not for Chanella either ... was a standing shot.

I spent quite a bit of time searching for a look that worked; and I found that we needed something to use as a prop ... so we used her hands for this one. I'll put up some more later when I've finished processing them.

Chanella chose the shot, so I'm guessing that she likes it

Okay, I cannot believe that I'm going to even try critiquing one of your shots but... (It's not necessarily technical, either...)

She has such an exotic look - the plastic red and black bands just ruin it. I wish that they were silver bangles that would fit with the over all style of the rest of her jewelry and would give a real mood or style to the shot. Kind of like Bo Derrick in "Ten". (Although, I've never seen the movie - I was too young, then - but I saw all the promo posters...) Anyway, they don't seem to fit with the rest of what's in the frame and it pulls my eye terribly from her own beautiful eyes. That's just my observation, anyway...

Anyway, I can't wait to see the rest of your shots. It's always fun to see what you've come up with and what you're doing.

Real Name

Hi Katy,

Thanks for that. I know what you mean; just not sure if I agree with it of not. Can't say it really bothers me - the point that comes to mind with many of these types of shots is, at the end of the day, often "what we've got is what we've got", so we just have to work with it.

Chanella has a quite a lot of jewelery (and tattoos) and I think the shots are better because of them. Sure, a metal bangle would probably have been nicer (as you mention), but this is what she was wearing on the day, and I've cropped it to de-emphasize it as much as possible. Perhaps I need to add more jewelery for props to the studio collection?

I was just coming to add that "I hope that it's okay that I said this". After all of our discussion of encouraging people to comment - sometimes, it's scary. Anyway, of course, it's through discussion and asking that we all learn.

I think that the idea of keeping jewelry props is really, really great. I bet that some girls would dive in like it's a treasure chest and some would think, "eew" to someof it. I'm saying this because one of my neighbors used to be a trainer for girls who were in beauty contests. She had trained several who won, including her own daughter who was Ms. Vermont and went to the national, Miss America, contest. Aside from the objections that I had to the whole thing, I did admire how the girls learned and grew in their poise, were challenged to really think about themselves and how they viewed the world. It was fascinating to watch the process of applying makeup that would read in these situations, choosing jewelry, dresses, etc., etc., etc - forming a style and impression that would complement them and make an impact. There was an art to it all. Anyway, she helped me get ready for a photo shoot for a profile picture (not the amateur one in my interview). I turned myself over to her but balked at what she was putting me in. I came out with a gorgeous portrait, though - very "opera-singery".

I just have to add - BIG (I mean - BIG and gaudy!) dangly earrings were a staple for her. Blech! But, on stage - gorgeous! Anyway, we kept joking that we should get her a pair of tiny wind chimes (which she, also, had a plethora of) and should present them to her as earrings. Did yo all need to know that?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    I was just coming to add that "I hope that it's okay that I said this".
    I'm sure Colin will be very okay with you coming in to contribute comments. That's what CiC is about.

I came out with a gorgeous portrait, though - very "opera-singery".
    The only question now is - When does a copy of this get posted up onto CiC? Your audience is waiting! There was a 'post pictures of the members thread' a while ago.

Real Name
    Kay

It was fascinating to watch the process of applying makeup that would read in these situations, choosing jewelry, dresses, etc., etc., etc - forming a style and impression that would complement them and make an impact. There was an art to it all.
    aaaah Katy.....that of which you speak happens on a daily basis in a house far far away (from yours) ....

Real Name
    Ali

Hi Colin,

I said enough of these intimidating shots, but I guess I like to see more of them

I think she has a beautiful face but this shot does not do justice to it in my opinion. First to me the forehead, the hands, the areas under the eyes (more on the left side) and also the left arm are to different degrees overexposed. In a fair skinned (or more fair skinned) person this would be a choice nice but here it is to the point that has given us different skin colors. To a degree that makes me wonder what color her skin actually is.

The light also accentuates the blemishes on her skin too much, specially on the left cheek.

I think the direction of light also makes the piercing on the lip look a bit weird with the things being pushed out and the shadow that is showing under it, while the one on the eyelid looks completely natural.

Also I think the whole exposure problem (over-) makes the whites of the eyes too bright, taking attention away from the eyelashes and her beautiful (I guess) blue eyes.

So, I guess my problem with it is too much light in the wrong direction.

I am interested to know what you think about this

Thanks!

Real Name

You're a hard bunch to please this year

Here's another from the shoot ...

Say hello to Chanella

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    I am interested to know what you think about this
    Hi Ali,

What to say ...

"Sometimes you just have to run with what you have" is what first springs to mind.

These days I'm also making a conscious effort not to "micro manage" some of the details; there's always a few little things that could have been changed, but we don't have the luxury of a professional model and all day to get one perfect shot.

[going out to tea now - will edit this with more of an answer later]

OK - back from McDonalds!

Send you a PM with more detail, but in summary, ...

- Flat lighting is best for not highlighting skin texture - but - it also adds weight to the face, so I had to keep the light quite directional and contrasty on this occasion (I'll say no more!)

PS: I just updated the image at pBase - so it'll probably update above at some point too, just in case some of you can't relate the discussion to what you're seeing.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 2nd January 2011 at 11:00 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Colin. The second photo I really like, I can't stop staring into her eyes. Maybe just a little too much shadow under the hat for the glamorous look.
    Thanks for posting, I always look forward to meeting your new models

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Ali,

What to say ...

"Sometimes you just have to run with what you have" is what first springs to mind.

These days I'm also making a conscious effort not to "micro manage" some of the details; there's always a few little things that could have been changed, but we don't have the luxury of a professional model and all day to get one perfect shot.

[going out to tea now - will edit this with more of an answer later]

OK - back from McDonalds!

Send you a PM with more detail, but in summary, ...

- Flat lighting is best for not highlighting skin texture - but - it also adds weight to the face, so I had to keep the light quite directional and contrasty on this occasion (I'll say no more!)

PS: I just updated the image at pBase - so it'll probably update above at some point too, just in case some of you can't relate the discussion to what you're seeing.
    Thanks, Colin! I like the new version and the new shot