Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Homemade Dirtbike Engine

Real Name
    Al

Homemade Dirtbike Engine

For C&C. I know it's not Nature or Architecture, but it's not People or Pets, either, so I'm posting here for lack of a better place.

You don't see many of these. This is the engine of an antique 1930s dirtbike; the entire motorcycle (frame, engine, fuel tank, and even chain sprockets) was homemade, mostly from scratch. This was tucked away in a very crowded corner of a local MC dealership, so getting any shot at all without knocking something over was difficult. No room for a tripod, poor indoor lighting. Comments on any and all aspects of the shot are welcome and appreciated.

EXIF: Canon 7D 24mm 1/13s@f/4 ISO1600

Homemade Dirtbike Engine
    Last edited by Snarkbyte; 31st December 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Homemade Dirtbike Engine

Very interesting story behind the image. I love motorbikes, too. Perhaps correcting the white balance and adding some more contrast for some punch?

Real Name
    John

It's a bit of still life, product display, abstract, etc., whichever label it goes under someone will appreciate the image for what it is. You could always try stitching several shots together but since you are handholding the camera it might prove tricky aligning the shots.

Real Name
    Al

Thanks, Jiro, excellent advice and it really shows. Don't know why I didn't do the white balance first off, and the additional contrast really makes it pop. While I was at it, I did some noise reduction and dimmed the background wall and floor a bit. Here's the result:

Homemade Dirtbike Engine

btw, I have no idea what the black thingy in the upper left corner is. It's wrapped in electrical tape and most of it is cut off in this shot. The bike was built by the man who started the dealership back in the 40s. His widow still owns the place (now run by her grandchildren), and she tells me all sorts of stories about several other antiques she has crammed into a corner. I wish more room were available so I could get a shot of the entire bike in focus.
    Last edited by Snarkbyte; 31st December 2010 at 09:25 PM.

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    It's a bit of still life, product display, abstract, etc., whichever label it goes under someone will appreciate the image for what it is. You could always try stitching several shots together but since you are handholding the camera it might prove tricky aligning the shots.
    Yeah, the only way I got this handheld at 1/13s was by laying down on the floor and using my forearm as a monopod. With the cramped space being crowded by other antiques and a trophy case that could easily be knocked over, the angles are very limited and shooting posiitions... awkward... at best. I could shoot from the top, but it's not a very interesting angle; this thing was built for dirt track racing, and it's basically a heavy duty bicycle frame with an engine.

Thanks for the comments.