Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Snow in the mountains

Snow in the mountains

Hi again!

It was a nice sunny day with -5 degrees celsius, no wind and more than 3m of snow on
    Mt. Kanin in the west part of Slovenian Alps. It is also the highest ski area in Slovenia.

Panorama photo (3 photos), Panasonic FZ50, F7.4, ISO 100, Exposure 1/640, Auto WB

p.s.
    one of my first photo shooting in snow

Snow in the mountains

Re: Snow in the mountains

Thats quite a spectacular place Tari, its a pity about the glare but for a first photo in the snow its great!

Maybe try toning down the shot in an editing studio, maybe even make it B/W. I'm not sure. But the snow (etc) on the right of the photo is a bit distracting.

Real Name
    Chris

I am quivering or slobbering with jealousy Tari (or whatever one does). Magnificent snow and love the lead in of the forgeround V to those receding horizons. Cropping the actual sun but leaving its starburst quite a cunning idea, though less in love with the pink stain arising from it.

I have checked out the highlight situation and there is only the smallest peppering of it, which with sunlit snow I am sure I would have left - that why one wears goggles! Speaks very well for the FZ50 command of exposure.

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

That's just bloody outrageous. How dare you put up a photograph of such quality!

Top stuff, keep 'em comin',

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Jezz, don't be too hard on the guy!
    Tell me if I'm mistaken, but this is a very nice shot!
    The colour is great, I wouldn't even think about converting to black and white.
    I admit, the snow is a little dominating, although there isn't that much that you could do about that now.
    If you had a chance to re-compose the shot, I would try and minimise the snow on the sides, and show more of that blue, misty valley ( which is the clear attraction in the image).
    I have no problems with the 'glare' except the 'purple stain' that it leaves, other than that I think that it enhances the 'Bright reflective' feel of the scene.

A very nice first-snow photo indeed!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Tari,

Nice shot.

This type of shot lends itself to "panoramarising" - open it up in your favourite imaging program and DOUBLE the width, without changing the height - I suspect you'll like the result (I've done a few of these on big canvases, and they look great).

Cheers,

Colin

Guys, thank you for comments!

Why snow is dominating? Well, here is a story: just before Christmas a massive amount of
    fresh snow has whitening the mountains in this region. Actually, with 6.7m of powder snow,
    it is a record in last 35 years. After 10 sunny days, very light powder snow transformed into
    one big heavy compressed piece Photo was taken in that way so my family and friends can
    get an impression on amount of snow.

The pink stain? Well, this is a nasty "feature" in FZ50 when you photo the sun. I can see it
    even in viewfinder when I point the camera into the sun.
    Sometimes I think the camera has an UV amount sensor

One more photo. I could say this one is Black on White in colours.
    Snow in the mountains

Real Name
    Chris

I like the birdie, but this one seems a clear candidate for a tighter crop - suggest square to include the bird and rock and not much else.

I have also tried removing some of the pink stain and reflection spots and feel it is worth it to improve the pic. For the stain, you need a very soft edge brush selection and with greater opacity or 2 goes on the bit sticking up towards the sun, then colour balance away from red end

Will try the image shack link.....don't think it likes me, registered on deleted email adress & forgotten password.....but, creak, groan, squeek, clank

Snow in the mountains
    Shot with DMC-FZ50 at 2009-01-11

Crow later perhaps

Snow in the mountains
    Snow in the mountains
    Last edited by crisscross; 11th January 2009 at 10:30 AM.