Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Image Hosting Site Recommendation

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Image Hosting Site Recommendation

Ladies & Gentlemen, I need you help.

I've pretty much "had it up to here" with photo.net and am looking to move my images to another site. Primarily I'm after a site that allows my images to be easily viewed by people I link to the site - preferably display the images in a few simple groups - and give the user the option to click on an image to "zoom in" for a better look.

At the risk of giving photo.net one last inadvertant plug, how they appear here ...

photo.net/photos/colinsouthern

... works well (the site layout and controls I like - it's just a few who run it a have a problem with).

Can anyone point me in a direction of a site that they feel might meet my needs? - doesn't need to be anything complicated, in fact, the simpler the better.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Colin - not photo.net/photos/colinsouthern for much longer!

Re: Image Hosting Site Reccommendation

I would recommend either Flickr or Photobucket, depending on the specfics of what your after either or could be good for you. I'm using both Flickr mainly for photography and Photobucket for Photoshopping etc, and just general image uploads. They're both quite simple but not sure whether or not they will suit your needs.

Flickr.com - Photobucket.com

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Re: Image Hosting Site Recommendation

Other similar photo hosting sites worth looking into include: PBase & SmugMug. However, PBase has been a bit slow with their page load times as of late. Right now flickr has by far the most traffic and interactivity though, so if exposure is important it'd probably be the best bet.

Real Name
    Matt Fannin

Re: Image Hosting Site Reccommendation

Actually, I should change to flickr.
    At the moment I am using Photobucket, and the site is way too 'junked up' for my liking.
    ( Colin you would probably find this annoying )

Real Name
    Mark Fleming

Colin,

Come to flickr. Seriously, first check out the free account (Limit of 200 photos) join some groups and read this if you want more exposure;

http://www.flickr.com/groups/central...7612151038931/

None of the sites above flickr are serious about photography with maybe the exception of facebook being linked by members (that are my contacts!)

Real Name
    Ian

All depends on what you are after. Free sites are great, but do have limitations in terms of upload speed and choices of template. Sometimes you get what you pay for (or don't).

Recently a 'free' hosting site went down unexpectedly for three days with no explanation, causing users to be concerned over the companies liquidity and getting their photos back.

Fortunately for the 60,000 users all was restored to normal after that, but it certainly lost a few users and caused a few others to review their backup strategies.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Thanks for the feedback. I briefly changed to Flickr, but couldn't find a way to display the images the way I wanted (I struggle with websites). Sean reminded me of pbase.com (which I'd tried several years ago) - and I eventually "clunked" my way into something that's OK for now.

In line with comments from others on pbase, it would be nice if someone who knew what they were doing would make up some more professional templates though.

Cheers,

Colin - pbase.com/cjsouthern

Pbase is 100% configuable. Follow pbase threads in the Forum where you will learn how to configure your galleries.

Mine is at http://www.pbase.com/exposed/

See you on pBase !

Barry