Thread: New smoke machine

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

New smoke machine

I bought a new smoke machine a few weeks ago and today is the first time a spent a few hours shooting with it.

It's a Smoke Ninja, which is much smaller than the machine I had been using and it lays down three different types of smoke, so has a bit more versatility. The smoke fluid is glycerine based, but uses a very concentrated formula, so there is a bit of a residue with this machine.

https://www.icd-usa.com/pages/smoke-ninja

Here's my first effort with it. It allows me to lay a thick "dry ice" look down on my work surface and also has a "fog" and "steam" setting.

Here's my first image using this new tool. It shows promise, but I am going to have to spend a lot more time working with it...

New smoke machine

Real Name
    Antonio Correia

Re: New smoke machine

From the start, it seems promising, especially in the hands of an experienced and knowledgeable person like Manfred.

I will be here to see these processes that will certainly be the best in a clear improvement on the work done previously with the other machine.

Good luck and thank you for sharing this new venture !

Real Name
    Yes

I worry about the residue which must get onto lenses and camera. Just what one doesn't want on the sensor. Would glycerine encourage fungus on the lens elements?

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Quote Originally Posted by loosecanon View Post
    I worry about the residue which must get onto lenses and camera. Just what one doesn't want on the sensor. Would glycerine encourage fungus on the lens elements?
    It's not getting on the lens, just on the setup itself. It cleans up quite easily, so I'm not at all concerned about the camera and lenses.

Real Name
    Ole

I love it. There seems to be a more 'delicate whiff' to the smoke or is it just my imagination?
    Cheers Ole