Thread: Camera Grip With On/Off Switch

Real Name
    Richard

Camera Grip With On/Off Switch

My wife would like to use my A6600 for video or stills. However, she has extreme arthritis in her right index finger which prevents her from effectively tripping the shutter button. My last job before I retired completely was working with persons with disabilities to help them adapt to the work environment. I am now trying to do this for my wife.

Although, I usually mount my 18-50mm f/2.8 Sigma lens when I use the camera but, I also have the tiny Sony 16-50mm OSS Kit Lens which would be more convenient for her to use because of its weight and size and the motorized zoom control.

I have ordered this camera grip with remote on off and zoom controls. I think she might be able to handle the camera this way.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I hope that it will work. I think she could use her thumb on the controls and her right thumb has mobility. Anyway - purchasing it from Amazon makes it easy to return it if it doesn't work for her.

Does anyone know of another way to hold a small DSLR like the A6600 and trip the shutter without needing to bend the index finger. I was thinking about jury rigging a handle release by gaffer taping a Sony remote to an old flash handle, but this would be a cleaner way to operate the camera...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 7th April 2024 at 11:48 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Re: Camera Grip With On/Off Switch

Richard - I've used a camera remote release (wired and wireless) in the past, when I could not use the shutter release button on the camera. The advantage, especially of the wired models, are that they can be held in any position that is comfortable for the camera operator.

Just to clarify, based on Dan's (following) comment. I have done this while hand-holding the camera. The remote was in my left hand, which supported the camera. I was holding the camera above the heads of people standing in front of me.
    Last edited by Manfred M; 8th April 2024 at 10:32 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

I too have used wired and wireless shutter remote releases and even a gadget that allows you to use your phone as a remote release. However, I doubt this would be a good solution in this case if she is going to be hand-holding the camera. I've used remote releases almost entirely when the camera is on a support.

Real Name
    Richard

We received the Aodelan handle and it is just what my wife needed. She can control on-off recording as well as zooming the lens in and out using her right thumb (I have the 16-50mm Sony kit lens attached). This ideal for her since her thumb is not impacted as much by her arthritis as is her index finger. There is a still photo button as well as a video button on the grip. I was confused when the still button did not work. After playing with the setup a bit, I realized that when the camera's mode dial is in video - the still button will not trip the shutter, However, if the mode dial is in any still picture mode (such as Auto or Manual) the still picture button will trip the shutter for a still and the video button will begin recording video). Problem solved - I will have the camera set for Auto when Judy is using it. The grip also has a button which will activate whatever the camera's C-1 button is programmed to do. I plan on using the C-1 button to switch from animal to human eye auto focus.

My wife loves the grip because it is a work around for her arthritis disability.

Although I realize how this grip can benefit Judy, I wouldn't use it to shoot, since I am very used to holding the camera using both hands on the camera.

When I shot 16mm film using a Bell and Howell, Model 70 Filmo camera. the Navy kit came with a handle which screwed into the tripod socket of that camera. I never used it since, I could handle the camera more efficiently without it. I can shoot the A6600 in both still and video mode more efficiently without this grip.

However,there are several rather neat aspects of this grip: The grip will spread into thee feet turning the unit into a micro tripod and the remote control can be detached from the grip, enabling the operation of the camera from a distance. Additionally, the grip can be used at various angles and can be rotated so that you can shoot selfies while holding the grip.

The grip is great for my wife. However, I certainly would not use this grip for my own shooting
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 9th April 2024 at 06:56 PM.

Real Name
    Bruce

Richard, thank you for your detailed explanation how this remote control grip operates.

I immediately looked online to see if there is a version that would work with my Canon camera. I need to walk with one, sometimes two, forearm crutches. I have a Panasonic Lumix which I can hold and activate with my right hand if I'm using only the left crutch. But my Canon 60D is too awkward to do that. A viable remote control might allow me to hold the 60D in my right hand and still have a firm grip on my left hand crutch. But it seems that the Canon version of this grip works only with cameras somewhat newer than my 60D.

Perhaps I should finally seriously consider switching to a mirrorless camera, something that I have so far resisted. But the existence of this type of remote grip will be an incentive to retire my 60D.