Thread: Camera Raw filter defaults to my secondary monitor

Real Name
    David

Camera Raw filter defaults to my secondary monitor

I have a dual monitor system. I sometimes move panels to the secondary monitor and can move them back to the main monitor at will. That works well for me.

However, in recent weeks, when I choose the Camera Raw filter it automatically opens in the secondary monitor (which is not fully colour managed and therefore does not give a true representation of adjustments). I cannot drag the whole window but I can resize the filter window by dragging the right and bottom edges. In short, I cannot manually move it to the primary monitor.

I have searched the Edit/Preferences and cannot find a way to ensure the Camera Raw filter opens on the Main monitor.

I am using a Windows 10 PC with the lastest (25.3.1) version of Photoshop..

How do I ensure the Camera Raw filter defaults to open in the primary monitor?

Real Name
    David

Re: Camera Raw filter defaults to my secondary monitor

The Adobe community suggested resetting the Camera Raw preferences and it fixed it.

In Photoshop, go to Edit > Preferences > Camera Raw. Click Camera Raw with the Control key pressed.
    Click Yes in the dialog that follows (ie confirm to delete Camera Raw preferences).

Then I tested it and the filter opened on the primary/main monitor as hoped.

Nomadic but not homeless, ex N.Z. now Aust.
    Real Name
    Paul

Re: Camera Raw filter defaults to my secondary monitor

I was curious about the odd behaviour of Camera RAW taking a liking to your second screen. Very surprised you couldn't shift it to screen 1. Good to know you found a solution.

I dumped using multiple screens about 18 months ago when I got a 34" 5k x 2k screen. With the availability of monitors of 5k x 2k or more at 34"-40" I doubt I would ever go back to what now seems clumsy multiple screen setup. There are are a few scenarios where multiple screens maybe prefered but certainly not for what I currently do.

Real Name
    David

Re: Camera Raw filter defaults to my secondary monitor -solved

Quote Originally Posted by pnodrog View Post
    I was curious about the odd behaviour of Camera RAW taking a liking to your second screen. Very surprised you couldn't shift it to screen 1. Good to know you found a solution.

I dumped using multiple screens about 18 months ago when I got a 34" 5k x 2k screen. With the availability of monitors of 5k x 2k or more at 34"-40" I doubt I would ever go back to what now seems clumsy multiple screen setup. There are are a few scenarios where multiple screens maybe prefered but certainly not for what I currently do.
    I only have the 2 screens because my PC will only start up with the old screen turned on and the main screen turned off, presumably because the bios is so configured, but I don't even want to think about fiddling around with the bios. Once the PC is up and running I can and often do turn off the second screen. It is a strange arrangement that I can live with and is not normally an issue.

I find my 27 inch screen is just right as I can sit at my preferred distance from it. Also, I am not ready to sacrifice more valuable desk space.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Camera Raw filter defaults to my secondary monitor -solved

Interesting. I have no idea how this works, but on my computer (windows 11, a fairly recent machine), the second monitor does not come on initially. I get the Windows welcome screen on my main monitor, and when I sign in, the second monitor immediately turns on. So I'm guessing (only guessing) that it's windows, not the BIOS, that controls the second screen.

I'm sticking with a 27" primary for a couple of reason. One is that it's about as much as I can manage without excessive scanning at the distance I sit. The second is that I paid a lot of money several years ago for a very good color critical monitor (a NEC), and I'm not about to pay even more to replace it with a larger one. If I had a cheap 27", I might think differently.